Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you get your water??  (Read 10612 times)

Offline Chris C

• 1st Kit
How do you get your water??
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:14:10 pm »
I'm pretty new to brewing, and in the past have just bought whatever cheap gallon jugs of spring water I can get, but that's still expensive.

The tap water supply is great, but probably needs some filtering.  I'm considering just getting a filter for my kitchen sink, but it currently has one of these installed: https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Pull-Out-Sprayer-Preparation-Stainless/dp/B07GTRSV6R/ref=sr_1_17?gclid=CjwKCAjwtO7qBRBQEiwAl5WC22aVxgwA8dykF1wP-2Jz245BKZZYpF04XiauqFosqlchgynRrMgc8BoCmCIQAvD_BwE&hvadid=177804071908&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033254&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=12701620924286559184&hvtargid=aud-676677759524%3Akwd-5779643239&hydadcr=1889_9900420&keywords=pull+out+sprayer+kitchen+faucet&qid=1566328316&s=gateway&sr=8-17

Will this be able to hold up a filter?  What filter do you use?  What other options do I have??  I need to cut this $5-$8 off each batch I make!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How do you get your water??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 01:41:30 pm »
I wouldn't try adding a filter to the end of that pull-out spray.  The clunkiness of doing so aside, if the faucet is relatively new, the aerator might not even be adaptable to a filter.  You could always add a filter under the sink, but that would require you to add a dedicated filter faucet and another hole in the sink/countertop.  Otherwise you would be using nice, clean filtered water to wash your dishes.

Offline jjw5015

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 01:48:21 pm »
5 Gallon refills of RO water at Walmart are only $1.85 for me in PA

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 02:15:58 pm »
Invest in a water test and know your water source.  Sending a sample to Wards Lab is well worth it.  You may be able to use straight tap, or be able to blend cutting your cost.  I have pretty hard water and sometimes can get away with blending my water with RO.  I spent one day going to multiple Wallymart stores, local groceries, and every water station I could find.  Only one had TDS levels worth buying.  Nearly all had readings 250-350. :(
That one was 35min from the house.  I ended up buying from a local store.  I buy 12-5 gallon jugs at a time for $.70/gallon.  That was the best deal I could work.  Every bottle I've purchased reads below 10 TDS. 
Jeff B

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 02:27:55 pm »
+1 for the Ward's Lab water report.....  You can also contact your local municpal water supplier...they have the data on the water available to the public for the asking. 
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 02:34:50 pm »
If you are a public water supply, you should be able to carbon filter it, or campden out the chlorine and at worst, cut it with some purchased RO.  Like what was said above, get a report.  I’m on a rural water well in my front yard, so I went with a dedicated RO system.  I just checked my TDS meter and it read 3.  That is pretty minimal, so my treatment is to add back a little CaCl and CaSO4, with a touch of acid malt or phosphoric to get the pH right.  That is for pale beers (mostly lagers).

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:28 pm »
I get RO from the dispenser at my local Walmart. 39 cents/gallon and usually under 20ppm TDS. You need to read the labeling on the dispensing machines. Some use the RO process and then mineralize.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 06:33:00 pm »
You should consider contacting the water provider to find out what ions are in your water. If they can't tell you, sending a sample off for testing is the next best way.

Filtering is not the only way to prepare water for brewing. The main thing to take care of when your water is from a municipal supply is to remove the chlorine compounds that are likely present in the supply. 1 Campden tablet per 20 gallons of water is generally sufficient to take out the compounds.

After that simple step is completed, the other thing you might consider is neutralizing excess alkalinity in your water. But you need that water testing result in order to know how much acid or other treatment might be needed.

Learning what's in the water is the first step.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline pullapint

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:03:55 pm »
I use an RV water filter hooked up to T on the inlet under the kitchen sink. Got tired of messing with faucet adapters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 09:35:54 pm »
Our municipal water is treated with free chlorine so a charcoal canister filter (mounted outdoors near where I brew) strips it out easily.  I also use a portable R.O. system to make water which I use to dilute my filtered tap water for brewing, diluted more or less depending on the beer I'm making.  I was doing the supermarket RO water routine for a while, but frankly I ain't getting any younger and this is a heavy enough hobby without having to tote buckets or carboys full of water in and out of the car and up and down stairs.  So over-paying for the portable HbrewO RO system was worth it to me purely for the convenience and portability of the system.  Their replacement cartridges are relatively small, and proprietary, and not inexpensive.  But it works great for me, my beer, and my fish.

When I make a batch of R.O. water it's usually 20-30 gallons at a time whether I'm planning a brew or not.  We also use it for replenishing our aquariums in between water changes (the fish seem to like that routine),  and about a 50/50 dilution for our coffee maker reservoir to help with mineral deposits.  Lowe's or Home Depot sell a handy $12 hand pump (Primo brand) which fits any plastic carboy.  We keep a 3 gallon Better Bottle tucked in a corner of our pantry with that pump on it for coffee maker refills.

And yeah, get your water tested, and get Martin's Bru'n Water spreadsheet.  Even if all you do is dilute your tap water with RO or distilled water like I do, the spreadsheet will tell you your results with any dilution ratio you choose, once you create a profile for your own tap water.

Sent from my HP Slate 10 HD using Tapatalk

Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline M Weeks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 09:32:14 am »
I had a similar problem. Now I use one of these filters
https://www.morebeer.com/products/water-filter-kit-10.html
I attach it to an old brew-pot, which has a weld-less port. As long as the water level in the pot is above the filter, gravity takes care of the rest. So I pour water into the pot, it flows through the filter, and into the mash tun. I use some quick disconnects, too, which makes it easy to disassemble and store until the next time.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 03:08:10 pm »
Local water is really poor for brewing. After lugging jugs of RO  water for years, I bought an RO System.

A TDS meter is a good thing to have to see if your water is changing, regardless of source. The Wards lab report is good to have for tap water, or to check your RO quality.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 06:56:10 pm »
The tap water supply is great, but probably needs some filtering.

I get my water in a nearby town that has damn near perfect brewing water. It sometimes (during summer) has a bit of algae and chlorine odor, so I run it through a carbon filter in what's called an "RV" unit (about $30.00 at Lowes/Ho Dep). The cartridge removes all hints of odor/flavor.

I don't use so-called RO or other bottled water because you don't get a lot analysis, and have no way of knowing what's in it.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 10:54:14 am »
I use Seattle tap with mineral and/or acid additions.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 11:24:04 am »

I don't use so-called RO or other bottled water because you don't get a lot analysis, and have no way of knowing what's in it.

A TDS meter is dirt cheap.  As long as it shows, say, 10 ppm or under, what's in it is probably insignificant.   A good precaution for those who do buy their water.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.