Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5 year old Bigfoot  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
5 year old Bigfoot
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:31:49 pm »
Anyone else ever had one at 5 years old?

Cracked my last 2013 open tonight, the next oldest Bigfoot I've ever had was 3 years old. It's been a while since I've done proper tasting notes on a beer, so I'm curious if what I'm tasting lines up with the experience of others. Mostly I just want some assurance that the beer is still good...which would mean my cellaring method works...

Anyway, here goes:

Appearance:

Crystal-clear reddish copper. Thin head that still laces nicely. Doesn't show any legs when swirled.

Aroma:

Best described as cherry pipe tobacco. Honestly the more I smell it the more it reminds me of aromatic style pipe tobacco. Maybe a hint of anise? Or cinnamon?

Mouthfeel:

A touch tannic/astringent...ok maybe more than a touch. Medium body, good bit of drying/puckering on the tongue.

Flavor:

The first thing you notice is a slam of hop tannins, then a slight caramel almost-sweetness. Honestly it's still so bitter it's hard to call it sweet, but there's some there. Then it fades to just bitter...and kinda resolves to almost a pipe bite like tannic thing. Maybe almost anise? Kinda almost a Jagermeister herbal/Anise thing.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 5 year old Bigfoot
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:41:29 pm »
So did you like it? I’ve never had it so I realize that this is naive but that doesn’t sound appealing to me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:15:06 pm »
Sorry, when I saw the topic title something completely different flashed in my head.   Li'l guy was kinda cute though....   ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 04:31:18 am »
So did you like it? I’ve never had it so I realize that this is naive but that doesn’t sound appealing to me.

Initially, it was pretty meh. Astringent and very bitter. As it warmed and oxidized it became much more enjoyable.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 05:49:26 am »
Yep. We've had many vertical tastings with Bigfoot in my club and I find that somewhere in the 4 to 6 yr old range is the sweet spot for that beer. Younger than that and it tends to be too hoppy and harsh, while older than that tends to show its age with excessive sherry notes.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 08:11:59 pm »
I was just looking at my cellar this evening. I've got one 2008 left and a few from every vintage since. I had a 2008 earlier this year and it still had a lot of bitterness, but the flavor was very smooth. I was expecting more sherry-like flavors from oxidation, but it wasn't there. I agree with Martin that 4-6 is probably the peak, but I've enjoyed trying beers that are older than my 8 year old cats.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:13:55 pm by BrewingRover »
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 08:29:41 am »
I was part of a group in spring 2017 that went to SN in Chico and got to try a flight of Bigfoot vintages, from the (then) recently released 2017 vintage, all the way back to 2010. Further back it went, the stronger the sherry/oxidation/caramel character got. The 2010 vintage was actually pretty gross, it was just too old. The best vintage was 2014, the three-year old one. I'd say 3-4 years is the sweet spot for this beer. More than this, and unpleasant oxidation character dominates.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:18:16 pm »
I was part of a group in spring 2017 that went to SN in Chico and got to try a flight of Bigfoot vintages, from the (then) recently released 2017 vintage, all the way back to 2010. Further back it went, the stronger the sherry/oxidation/caramel character got. The 2010 vintage was actually pretty gross, it was just too old. The best vintage was 2014, the three-year old one. I'd say 3-4 years is the sweet spot for this beer. More than this, and unpleasant oxidation character dominates.

Is this something that Sierra Nevada promotes? There's a wine/beer shop near my house that every year does a Celebration vertical that goes back 5 or so years and I don't quite understand it, although I'm interested to try it this year and see what the big deal is about.  I get that it's a wintery/seasonal beer, but it's also a fresh hop, so that just kind of baffles me.  Interesting to see a different SN brand that has a vertical aspect to it.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 03:46:29 pm »

Is this something that Sierra Nevada promotes?

I don't know if they promote it or not, but it was on the general public beer menu when I was there. So anyone could have done it.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 01:33:39 am »
I had a 2006 bottle of Bigfoot in 2016 and it was damn good still.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 11:07:55 am »
Yep. We've had many vertical tastings with Bigfoot in my club and I find that somewhere in the 4 to 6 yr old range is the sweet spot for that beer. Younger than that and it tends to be too hoppy and harsh, while older than that tends to show its age with excessive sherry notes.

Agree with Martin.  We had a 5 year old bottle of Bigfoot here a while back and it was still quite good.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »

Agree with Martin.  We had a 5 year old bottle of Bigfoot here a while back and it was still quite good.

I'm sitting on a case of 2014 (well most of a case at this point) and IMO it's just becoming drinkable.

When it's fresh I do not enjoy this beer at all.

But the case was a good price and someone convinced me to get it. I am aging it next to a case of Dragons Milk. The Big Foot will outlast the Milk for sure.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 11:51:33 am »
Consistent with Martin's comment above, the longest I've held one back was 5 years and it was in a "sweet spot" - hops bitterness had mellowed, had nicely integrated flavors as described - caramel, anise, and yes, a bit of cherry pipe tobacco would not be inaccurate I believe. I don't care for this beer young - too bitter for my personal tastes. I buy one or two a year to lay back for a while.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 06:51:14 am »
Consistent with Martin's comment above, the longest I've held one back was 5 years and it was in a "sweet spot" - hops bitterness had mellowed, had nicely integrated flavors as described - caramel, anise, and yes, a bit of cherry pipe tobacco would not be inaccurate I believe. I don't care for this beer young - too bitter for my personal tastes. I buy one or two a year to lay back for a while.

I gotta admit, I love me some fresh Bigfoot. I keep some to age from time to time, but nothing beats a fresh, cold one to me.

I haven't dipped into my beer cellar in a while - I should see what the wayback machine finds next time I'm downstairs.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer