Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: continuous addtions, bagged wet hop ale  (Read 763 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
continuous addtions, bagged wet hop ale
« on: August 20, 2019, 06:20:16 pm »
I grow a lot of hops and every other year or so I decide that I should do a wet hop beer and use up a bucket of Cascades rather than drying and packing them.  This year I decided that I might change the calculus a bit to minimize chlorophyll flavors in the beer.  I did this by making only one addition that would stay in the wort during the entire boil (1.5 oz. of neutral, dried Saxon hops from last year's harvest) and added a series of wet hop additions throughout the boil (think Dogfishhead 90 min. IPA hopping) but allowed those wet hops to be in the boil for only 10 minutes.  In short I added six handfuls of freshly harvested Cascades in two bags every 10 minutes; at each 10 minute interval of the boil I pulled those two hop bags and replaced them with two bags of fresh wet hops.  I did this with a 5 gallon pail of hops through about a 70-80 minute boil.  The last addition stayed in during chilling.

I did this brew today & will post my impressions when its done.  Grain bill was 8 lbs. pale ale malt, 7 lbs. Maris Otter male, 12 oz. Golden Naked Oats.  Fermenting on a London III yeast cake from another batch.

Anybody else do wet hop beers this time of year?