Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cooler Repair Needed - Please Help!  (Read 5317 times)

Offline lewbrew

• 1st Kit
Cooler Repair Needed - Please Help!
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:46:32 am »
So over the weekend I decided to add a thermosight to my HLT.

In drilling my 3/8" hole I managed to drill next to 1 of only 2 bubbles/waves on the internal wall (warped from the heat of past brews). Because of its location I am unable to get the o-ring, washer, & nut assembly on.

I'd like to patch and re-drill a new hole. Does anyone have any suggestions on what/how to patch the 3/8" hole? It needs to be stable to the heat and pressure of 10g of strike water.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Cooler Repair Needed - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:01:20 pm »
  This id going to be a tough one. My only thought would be to get a scrap of stainless, maybe 4"x4", and give it a little roll to contour to the pot. Rivet each corner, and then use some JB Weld on the outside of the pot to seal it.

Edit : Wait, you said cooler.....so I guess this means plastic, so use a scrap of plastic in place of the SS.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:16:11 pm »
Couldn't you just fill it with something like GOOP?  A little masking or duct tape on both sides to hold the glue in the hole until it dried?
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:23:45 pm »
I'd try attaching that scrap plastic with epoxy puddy.  It is really easy to use and will actually cure underwater.  So I'm guessing it will be good and water tight. 
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

boulderbrewer

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:25:17 pm »
Epoxy alone might work for that.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »
Nut and bolt that just fits the hole with a washer and silicone gasket.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:48:46 pm »
Nut and bolt that just fits the hole with a washer and silicone gasket.

Plus then your cooler will look like Frankenstein's monster which will give it a bit of additional character.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline lewbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 02:57:39 pm »
Thanks for the ideas.  I thought about an epoxy because of it would fill the void and be strong enough to hold the pressure from the strike water but I wasn't sure if it would leech chemicals in the water and leave an off flavor.  I also thought about filling it either with all silicone or a combination of 1/2 epoxy on the outside to serve as a plug and fill the remaining, interior portion of the hole w/ food grade silicone.  My only worry is that this may not be strong enough and w/ the pressure of the water pop the plug.

Though not pretty I think the stopper/bolt combo might be the best.  If you have any other thoughts I'm happy to listen.

Thanks!

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 01:28:51 pm »
One last thought.  Buy a new cooler... ;D
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline fightdman

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:17:48 am »
Thanks for the ideas.  I thought about an epoxy because of it would fill the void and be strong enough to hold the pressure from the strike water but I wasn't sure if it would leech chemicals in the water and leave an off flavor.  I also thought about filling it either with all silicone or a combination of 1/2 epoxy on the outside to serve as a plug and fill the remaining, interior portion of the hole w/ food grade silicone.  My only worry is that this may not be strong enough and w/ the pressure of the water pop the plug.

Though not pretty I think the stopper/bolt combo might be the best.  If you have any other thoughts I'm happy to listen.

Thanks!

Why not use the bolt and washers stopper as a temp plug, then fill the cooler with boiling water?  That way, you can tighten the bolt and bend the wall back into place.  After you have it back into place, drain hot water and rinse with cold to fix the sidewall into it's new position.
GAVDIVM MIHI VAE TIBI