Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safbrew BE-256 Banana High  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Shawn Stafford

• 1st Kit
Safbrew BE-256 Banana High
« on: May 30, 2019, 07:47:51 am »
I recently brewed a Belgian Golden using Safbrew BE-256. My fermentation temperature was 68 degrees and the finished beer has a strong banana aroma and flavor. I'm very disappointed and I'd like to know why this happened.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Safbrew BE-256 Banana High
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 08:05:54 am »
This yeast strain is known to produce a lot of banana ester, as well as bubblegum and pineapple.  Next time perhaps you would prefer to try BE-134 or Belle Saison yeast instead of the BE-256.

You also fermented fairly warm at 68 F, which tends to favor the esters.  If you try fermenting cool around say 62-64 F, perhaps the banana ester would be more muted or even non-existent.  I know when I have used Belgian yeasts that cold, they come out very clean and at times even lager-like in character or lack thereof.  So you could always try the same yeast fermented colder and see if that's something you might prefer.

Fortunately, time can also help with this.  I find that even in the most banana-flavored beers, this ester tends to fade away completely within about 3-6 months on average.  So if it is possible to age your beer for that amount of time, perhaps you will be able to enjoy the beer much more after the aging.

Better luck next time!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 08:29:03 am »
Agreed with Dave, but if you have enough storage to brew another batch and blend them, that might give you what you are looking for...I would note that in my experience, many of these strains will be slightly phenolic (clove) if fermented too cold, so use restraint on lowering the temperature of the next fermenter, as Dave has properly advised.  60F would be the bottom for me, but I am clove sensitive.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline frankvw

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:59:16 am »
I would note that in my experience, many of these strains will be slightly phenolic (clove) if fermented too cold, so use restraint on lowering the temperature of the next fermenter, as Dave has properly advised.  60F would be the bottom for me, but I am clove sensitive.

Agreed, but with a few foot notes:

• Belgian yeasts also produce other volatile phenols other than just clove (4-vinyl guaiacol);
  • However, BE-256 is a POF- strain so it won't (or at least shoudn't) produce any volatile phenols at all (which IMO makes its taxonomy as a Belgian yeast questionable, but that's just me);
  • BE-256 goes down all the way to 55F (even a little lower if you're patient) while 68F is close to the high end of its recommended temperature range. So it's not surprising that it turns into a 20 megaton banana bomb at that temperature;
  • From what I understand of the pathways to phenol production, the amount of phenols is relatively temperature-independent, at higher temperatures the higher ester levels simply mask the phenols.

On that note, I am looking for information on the formation of volatile phenols in Belgian yeasts and the factors that govern them. All research I have found so far focused on lager brewing or dealt with other yeasts than Saccharomyces. Any pointers would be appreciated!!

// FvW