Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega Hothead Yeast question  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Jdub

• 1st Kit
Omega Hothead Yeast question
« on: July 07, 2019, 09:13:56 am »
did an experiment in my hot Texas garage. brewed an all grain pale ale and used hothead yeast. temp got up to 99 during krausen, and fermenter was very warm to the touch. blowoff tube was chugging. i expect this to be done in 3 days.

question: this recipe calls for a 7 day dry hop. Should I dry hop after 3 days initial fermentation and then wait 7 days to package? or should I shorten this dry hop period b/c of the temp? when done, i plan to cold crash and keg.

thanks
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:16:30 am by John Weller »

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
Re: Omega Hothead Yeast question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:01:51 pm »
If the fermentation is done or near done, then it is fine to start the dry hop for this style. I like to add the first (or only) dry hop addition as fermentation is still a bit active to help scrub any oxygen in the pellets, out of an abundance of caution. As a general rule, the hop oil compounds are more soluble in an ethanol solution (beer) as the temperature goes up and 65-72F is a typical range for many homebrewers. I would personally not adjust / account for 70F vs. 85F dry hopping. Studies have shown that most of the compounds come out of the hops during the first 12-48 hrs anyway at ~70F. Let it sit for 2-4 days if impatient, or go longer if you feel inclined. There is no perfect answer here, just how you choose to brew.

Please let us know how this turns out - you're running at the top of the temp range for this yeast! I was thinking of giving it a try on a future brew.

Offline Jdub

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 04:02:18 am »
ok Thanks for the reply! i will go ahead and dry hop at 3 days and let sit for several days. i will let you know how this goes with Hothead. i am curious myself as it is hot here right now.

Offline Jdub

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 05:04:41 am »
late follow up, but this turned out very nice. floated the keg a few weeks ago. no off flavors that i was able to pick up. fruity esters are prominent due to fermenting at high temps. literally had my fermenter on my garage workbench and temps were close to 100. crazy yeast strain.