Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PH storage solution recipe  (Read 4771 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: PH storage solution recipe
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 04:39:58 pm »
pH has little to do with storage solution. The osmotic strength and the ions are the important features and vinegar doesn't even come close to cutting it. In most cases, pH probes employ a potassium chloride solution as the electrolyte and the purpose of storage solution is to replicate that environment on the exterior of the probe's bulb to avoid drawing out the ionic content from the bulb. I've seen storage solution molarity vary between 1 and 4 and its dependent upon the probe manufacturer. In essence, the storage solution molarity is dependent upon the probe's electrolyte molarity. So in a way, you should try and use the storage solution that the probe manufacturer recommends. If its a piece of crap probe, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a manufacturer recommending the use of tap water. For good probes, use real solution.

With all that said, there are several sources that suggest that STARTING with a 4 buffer solution is a decent idea since it has very little ionic content and the low pH isn't a problem. The 4 buffer is also more stable than other higher pH buffers. From that starting point, add solid KCl to the buffer (or distilled water) to create a KCl solution of at least 2 molarity. For many probes, that should be close enough.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 04:58:18 pm »
Thanks, Martin!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 05:14:03 pm »
That’s what I’ve been waiting for. I echo the thanks Martin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 06:24:50 pm »
I too appreciate your presence and response Martin.  Sincerely.

Now... if it ain't broke.........  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 12:30:14 am »
I figure, KCl is salt, and vinegar is sort of like a salt, but just an uglier molecular formula of CH3COOH.  And the pH is about right.  Good enough for me.  And I even dunk it into the mash at 150 F and the probe hasn't died yet.

By that logic then why not urine? It's way cheaper, kind of salty (there is probably some KCl in there) and you don't even need to take the cap off a bottle to get it. Now that's what I call lazy mans electrode solution. ;)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 07:16:29 am »
I figure, KCl is salt, and vinegar is sort of like a salt, but just an uglier molecular formula of CH3COOH.  And the pH is about right.  Good enough for me.  And I even dunk it into the mash at 150 F and the probe hasn't died yet.

By that logic then why not urine? It's way cheaper, kind of salty (there is probably some KCl in there) and you don't even need to take the cap off a bottle to get it. Now that's what I call lazy mans electrode solution. ;)

Good one, Bilsch!  However,I hope there is not any KCl in urine!  Potassium Chloride is what is used in euthanasia and lethal injection to stop the heart.  ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 07:25:21 am »

Good one, Bilsch!  However,I hope there is not any KCl in urine!  Potassium Chloride is what is used in euthanasia and lethal injection to stop the heart.  ;D
Well then at least better to pee it out than keep it in! 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 08:40:55 am »
Here are some instructions from Denver Instruments on making 3Molar Electrode Fill Solution:
http://www.denverinstrument.com/denverusa/media/pdf/Making_3M_KCl_Fill_Solution.pdf

A 3M KCl filling solution can be easily prepared using Potassium Chloride in the crystalline form and deionized water. Please follow the steps carefully so you do not change the reference potential of your electrode.
1) Dry the Potassium Chloride carefully in an oven for 2-3 hours.
2) Using an analytical balance, carefully weigh 22.368 grams of KCl.
3) Transfer the KCl to a 100 ml class A volumetric flask.
4) Fill the flask to the fill line and mix thoroughly.
5) Verify the volume of the solution after KCl is completely dissolved.
6) Transfer to original filling bottle for use in electrode.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 10:20:54 am »
Here are some instructions from Denver Instruments on making 3Molar Electrode Fill Solution:
http://www.denverinstrument.com/denverusa/media/pdf/Making_3M_KCl_Fill_Solution.pdf

A 3M KCl filling solution can be easily prepared using Potassium Chloride in the crystalline form and deionized water. Please follow the steps carefully so you do not change the reference potential of your electrode.

Great information.

Meanwhile, if/when my pH meter craps out, I think I won't bother replacing it.  That's how unimportant I think all this pH mumbo is in a homebrew setting.  To each his own.

Cheers all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

PH storage solution recipe
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 10:56:44 am »

Great information.

Meanwhile, if/when my pH meter craps out, I think I won't bother replacing it.  That's how unimportant I think all this pH mumbo is in a homebrew setting.  To each his own.

Cheers all.

Thanks for the recipe StPug.

Though I believe pH is important, I also believe a good water calculator will get you close enough. Which is probably good enough. So in that case, I agree that not having a meter to fiddle with becomes less important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:58:50 am by BrewBama »