Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Golden strong ale recipe  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Niraj Patel

• 1st Kit
Belgian Golden strong ale recipe
« on: September 01, 2019, 05:25:48 am »
Hello!

New guy here looking to make a recipe found on this webpage:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-belgian-golden-strong-ale/

My question is if I can forego doing a 2.8 gallon boil and replace with a full volume boil. Does this recipe need to be made as instructed to hit the OG numbers? Thanks!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Belgian Golden strong ale recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:54:16 am »
You can bdo a full boil with this (or really any) extract recipe.  You will get a bit better hop utilization with a full boil though so recalculate those numbers and you should be good.  If you don't want to do the math or put it in Beersmith or some other package, just reduce the hops by 10%(ish) and go for it.

As always, folks on the forum are free to correct my recollections. 8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Niraj Patel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 06:21:47 am »
Looks like I have to make the recipe as written to hit the recipe numbers. I've bought quantities which the recipe called for already. Oh well at least chilling will go quickly. I ran the numbers through the Brewers friend calculator..

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 06:32:28 am »
I’m no expert in making Belgian ales, but I can’t see any reason why you can’t do a full volume boil.  What numbers will you miss by doing a full volume boil?  Perhaps there is an explanation, but I can’t think of one.  Personally, I would brew it like any other beer.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Niraj Patel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 07:02:40 am »
I’m no expert in making Belgian ales, but I can’t see any reason why you can’t do a full volume boil.  What numbers will you miss by doing a full volume boil?  Perhaps there is an explanation, but I can’t think of one.  Personally, I would brew it like any other beer.

Gravity and IBUs... But the recipe then says to top up with enough water to reach 5.5 gallons, which I assume will lower the gravity. I'm guessing the original 2.8 gallon's gravity is higher than 1.080, so when you add the top off water, the ending solution has a gravity as per the recipe

EDIT: Put the recipe through beersmith and found the gravity will be spot on with a full volume boil. My IBUs had to be scaled up a tad however, so now I need 3 more oz of stryian Golding hops.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:55:05 am by Niraj Patel »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 08:08:36 am »
Your starting gravity will be measured after the full boil is complete and just before you pitch the yeast.  The final gravity is measured after fermentation is complete.  The difference is the ABV%.  Don't confuse either of these readings with the Pre-Boil reading.  The Pre-Boil reading tells you your sugar content before the evaporation starts from the boil as this reading will be lower than the reading you get after the full boil is complete.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:13:18 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Niraj Patel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 09:47:20 am »
Thanks for the replies. I'm squared away now...

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 12:40:11 pm »
When you taste the beer, come back and tell us how you did.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 06:06:41 am »
When you taste the beer, come back and tell us how you did.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1
Joliet, IL