Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SNS starter in carboy  (Read 2331 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: SNS starter in carboy
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 11:28:07 am »
FWIW, I have tried every suggested approach, but I settled on putting a quart or so of wort in a gallon apple juice jug, shaking the snot out of it, flaming the jug opening, adding the liquid yeast and shaking it again.  It is amazing how quickly the yeast is ready to be added to cooled wort when I finish brewing.  As few as 4-5 hours typically, but rarely more than 8 hours to a ready state.

Of course, harvesting and repitching freshly harvested yeast is the best way to go IMHO.

Agreed on all, although I don't flame it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 03:44:02 pm »
I've seen people plug the carboy, then roll it back and forth on the floor for 5-10 minutes. Basically shaking, just more manageable with a 5-gallon carboy

Don't do that.  Ask me how I know....
OKay, I'll bite. How do you know?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 04:20:32 pm »
I've seen people plug the carboy, then roll it back and forth on the floor for 5-10 minutes. Basically shaking, just more manageable with a 5-gallon carboy

Sad experience....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 04:27:17 pm »

Sad experience....

C'mon, man, you can't just leave us hanging like that!  What happened?  So we don't all have to go try it ourselves to find out...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 04:38:52 pm »

Sad experience....

C'mon, man, you can't just leave us hanging like that!  What happened?  So we don't all have to go try it ourselves to find out...

Not very dramatic...the carboy cracked.  I was rolling it on carpet BTW.

www.dennybrew.com