Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumpkin beer  (Read 1937 times)

Offline jtmillir

• 1st Kit
Pumpkin beer
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:13:11 pm »
I am brewing the morebeer thanksgiving (pumpkin) beer this weekend.  this is my first time with a pumpkin beerI am going to get pumpkin spice to add and pumpkin to add.  When do you guys add it and how much do you add?

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Pumpkin beer
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 10:33:31 am »
I do a tsp of spice near the end of the boil and another tsp at kegging.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 01:22:00 pm »
I know a lot of people use actual pumpkins and basically stew them a bit before adding the meat to the wort.  I found it was easier to use pumpkin puree instead of whole pumpkins.  It is a lot easier to work with.  If you are doing an all grain batch (if that is what the kit is), you can put he puree directly into the mash.  Just make sure you use rice hulls if you go that way to keep from sticking the mash.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 01:58:51 pm »
If you insist on using pumpkin, Drew has a good trick.  Put the canned pumpkin in a pan and bake it for a few hours to concentrate the flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 10:34:40 am »
Most of what you think of as the flavor of pumpkin beer is really pumpkin pie spices because pumpkin doesn't have a ton of flavor to it so before committing yourself to adding pumpkin ask yourself what you intend to get out of adding a messy ingredient to the beer.

If you can find quality heirloom pie pumpkins you can get some flavor out of adding actual pumpkin although it isn't really what anybody thinks pumpkin tastes like unless you have actually eaten pumpkin flesh so you might spend a lot of money on an ingredient that does not meet your expectations. Heirloom pie pumpkins have a great squash-y flavor with some floral flavors and are fairly sweet but if you are just dumping pie spices on top of it then what are you really getting out of it?

Regardless of your source of pumpkin I am a fan of baking it down in the oven. Pumpkin is very watery raw or out of a can and reducing the water content can help caramelize some of the sugars and give it a more pie-like flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 02:31:18 pm »
By using real pumpkin you are just asking for a stuck sparge and/or clogged tubing. Personally, I wouldn't bother and choose to just add pumpkin spices.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 02:52:10 pm »
Roasted pumpkin was used, out of desperation, in colonial times, as a source of starch in conjunction with 6 row malt.  Of course back then they were using walnut shells in place of hops and all kinds of weird stuff. You can read about it in Randy Mosher's book Radical Brewing in a section titled "The Horrors of Colonial Ale," which should tell you all you need to know.

Fatigued as I am with pumkin spice everything, I have to admit that's got to be the better way to go.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 02:53:26 pm »
Roasted pumpkin was used, out of desperation, in colonial times, as a source of starch in conjunction with 6 row malt.  Of course back then they were using walnut shells in place of hops and all kinds of weird stuff. You can read about it in Randy Mosher's book Radical Brewing in a section titled "The Horrors of Colonial Ale," which should tell you all you need to know.

Fatigued as I am with pumkin spice everything, I have to admit that's got to be the better way to go.

Were they actually using malt back then?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 03:53:24 pm »

Were they actually using malt back then?
Yeah, whoever brewed would malt their own, but from what I've read even the six row they could get to grow in America in the early  days wasn't a really high yield crop, so they used lots of other sources of fermentables.   Any kind of starch, like root vegetables or corn, and of course molasses.  It's not surprising cider and rum were so popular in the colonies.  I think the revolution did American brewing a huge favor, by cutting off the supply of rum and molasses from the Brits in the Caribbean.   Finally had to improve the local beer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 04:12:52 pm »
Roast the pumpkin, brew a beer, throw the pumpkin in the trash and drink the beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 06:04:39 am »
While I have never made a Pumpkin Beer, I spoke with my local brewmaster last year who told me he cuts up a whole deseeded pumpkin into 3” chunks, places them on a roasting pan, seasons them with pumpkin spice and roasts them in the oven at 325° for about an hour to concentrate and meld the flavors.  Then he adds the chunks to the top of the mash along with rice hulls.

For what it’s worth, he makes the best Pumpkin Ale I’ve ever had the pleasure of drinking.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 12:58:26 pm »
Roast the pumpkin, brew a beer, throw the pumpkin in the trash and drink the beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely!
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 01:33:34 pm »
I do 4 lbs of roasted pumpkin in a paint strainer bag in the mash and boil.  I do BIAB, so no stuck sparred.  Good to see the anti-pumpkin goons out in full force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 01:45:25 pm »
I do 4 lbs of roasted pumpkin in a paint strainer bag in the mash and boil.  I do BIAB, so no stuck sparred.  Good to see the anti-pumpkin goons out in full force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please, no name calling.

www.dennybrew.com