Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apples in Brown Ale  (Read 3094 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Apples in Brown Ale
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 04:47:21 pm »
Anyone ever try replacing the strike water with cider?  I've done replacement with maple sap but never cider, which has a lot more sugar content.  I'm very tempted to try it on a small (1-2 gallon batch size) scale.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 05:15:34 pm »
Anyone ever try replacing the strike water with cider?  I've done replacement with maple sap but never cider, which has a lot more sugar content.  I'm very tempted to try it on a small (1-2 gallon batch size) scale.

No, and it seems like a pretty bad idea for all-grain brewing.  I just checked the pH of my 2018 juice and it's 3.5.  Not suitable for mashing at that pH.

If brewing with extract, though, I'll bet it would turn out good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 01:41:45 pm »
Thanks!  Maybe an extract experimental brew is my new plan.  Good info!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 02:58:53 pm »
I just completed a brew with the intention of getting apple cider used in my brewing.  I first made a gallon and a half of smoked apple cider (I smoked some apples and then used them in my cider press).  I made a 3.5 gallon batch of American brown ale and topped off the fermenter with the cider.  Should be interesting...