Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pahto hops  (Read 1579 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pahto hops
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:07:29 am »
Has anyone used these yet?  What was/is your impression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Pahto hops
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 08:26:48 am »
I was out at YC Hop and Brew School. They pitched them as high alpha bittering hops. Didn't say anything about aroma.

Pahato is the local Native American name for My. Adams, so that is where the name came from.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:47:24 am »
I was out at YC Hop and Brew School. They pitched them as high alpha bittering hops. Didn't say anything about aroma.

Pahato is the local Native American name for My. Adams, so that is where the name came from.

Yeah, that's what I recall.  The OP could get more info from the YC app or website.  But in terms of direct experience, none here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:09:53 am »
Yeah that’s pretty much all I could find on the website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:46:36 pm »
While looking for something else, found this in a Yakima Chief booklet they gave out.

Bitterness with a mild aroma - Herbal, Earthy, Floral.

AA 17-20%
Beta 4.5-6%
Co-H 28-32%
Oil 1-2.5 ml
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:25:29 pm »
I notice this is part of a new class of hops in the last few years referred to as "super alpha."  To think that not so long ago "high alpha," strictly bittering hops had less than half the alpha content of these varieties.  Of course, many hops originally bred as high alpha bittering hops found popularity as aroma hops in American IPAs.   But as yet I don't recall ever seeing "super alpha" like Apollo used for anything but efficient bittering in very mild macro lagers.  I suppose that stands as a challenge, a dare, to the home or craft brewer!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:53:10 pm »
I notice this is part of a new class of hops in the last few years referred to as "super alpha."  To think that not so long ago "high alpha," strictly bittering hops had less than half the alpha content of these varieties.  Of course, many hops originally bred as high alpha bittering hops found popularity as aroma hops in American IPAs.   But as yet I don't recall ever seeing "super alpha" like Apollo used for anything but efficient bittering in very mild macro lagers.  I suppose that stands as a challenge, a dare, to the home or craft brewer!

Apollo has dank character, so it has some use for that. It was released by Hopsteiner, so is Pahato a response? It would also yeild a lot of Co2 extract per pound.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 05:55:43 pm »

Apollo has dank character, so it has some use for that. It was released by Hopsteiner, so is Pahato a response? It would also yeild a lot of Co2 extract per pound.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild