Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What am I missing?  (Read 1328 times)

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
What am I missing?
« on: September 10, 2019, 11:41:52 am »
I should have taken up sailing if I wanted a cheap hobby...

I'm looking to set up a starter dual keg system and after shopping around I'm leaning to Beverage Elements.

Here's what I have so far:
2.5 Gallon Ball Lock Kegs Two Pack – Dual Handle – New – AEB - Italy
Taprite Dual Body CO2 Regulator – Triple Gauge, Two Outlet
(2) - Ball Lock Liquid and Gas Line Pigtail Set - Quick disconnect - Picnic Faucet

I have a source for exchanging a 5# CO2 tank, so that's covered.  I also plan on picking up extra O Rings, lube and poppets from MoreBeer in order to help with free shipping when I buy yeast/grains etc.

Two questions:
1) I brew 2.5 gal batches and usually end up packaging a little less...maybe 2.25 gallons.  I won't be expanding batch size in the foreseeable future, if ever.  Personal drinking habits aside, any reason 2.5 gallon kegs wouldn't be the ideal size?
2) Am I missing anything essential?  (Yes, I have a spare fridge!) The kegerator will have to wait for another day.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: What am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 12:28:49 pm »
check valves to keep out any backflow?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 01:21:58 pm »

Good call!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:25:46 pm »

Are you talking about a "gas in" disconnect with a built in check valve?  I'm pretty sure the regulator valves have built in checks, but that would only protect the regulator I suppose.

Or is there a check valve specifically for the liquid line?

Or both?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:53:56 pm »
Check valves are for the gas in side in case you overfill a keg with beer.  If you are sure that won’t happen and the keg will be stored and dispensed upright, you can forego those...but I have them on all of my gas lines as insurance on that issue.  Cheers on finding your setup, kegs are great!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 06:59:09 am »
"1) I brew 2.5 gal batches and usually end up packaging a little less...maybe 2.25 gallons.  I won't be expanding batch size in the foreseeable future, if ever.  Personal drinking habits aside, any reason 2.5 gallon kegs wouldn't be the ideal size?"

This is my setup and it works great. Kudos on getting matching kegs. When I got into kegging in short succession I bought three different small kegs. Dip tubes slightly different lengths, etc. It's a minor issue but you're out in front of it.

I'm assuming you have a wrench set. I took the three wrenches I use for kegging and put a piece of painter's tape on each handle to make it easy to grab the right one.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:37 am »
I have three gallon kegs and find that is a sufficient size for me. Prior to kegging I did a lot of one gallon batches so I have tripled batch sizes but don't feel like I need to dump beer and get something new on tap. If you like 2.5 gallon batches now then there's no reason to move into a bigger size.

Smaller kegs are harder to find used (especially ball lock) so keep an eye out for good deals on them. Down the road you might want to have an extra keg of beer ready or a keg to age a bigger beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:03:23 pm »
So I got my kegs, tank, regulator, lines (and check valves!).  Now, I have a Saison ready to act as my Yuri Gagarin.

I know everyone has their own methods, but I plan on the "Set it and forget it" method of carbing the beer (12-15lbs for a week, give or take).  The less I have to do the better.

Given that, the best "general" approach is:
A) Rack the 70ish° beer to keg, carb, put in fridge, adjust co2 as necessary.
B) Cold crash in fermenter, rack beer to keg, carb.
C) Rack beer to keg, burp the head space, chill, then carb.
D) All of the above
E) None of the above

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do, but was interested in any opinions.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 02:20:54 pm »
If it looks like it needs cold crashing, go for B.  Otherwise A.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 03:17:17 pm »
I would also cold crash before transfer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com