Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit - Lengthy Settling Time for Krausen?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Mark

• 1st Kit
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit - Lengthy Settling Time for Krausen?
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:27:17 am »
I brewed a witbier with this strain two weeks ago (OG = 1.050), and went to rack from bucket to keg last night, and was surprised to see quite a bit of krausen still present when I took the lid off the primary. I used a starter, and things took off pretty quickly after pitching. Is this typical of this strain, and if so, how much longer should I expect it to take for things to settle down? I'm certain that fermentation is done, but I didn't want to siphon it with so much of a mess on the top.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit - Lengthy Settling Time for Krausen?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:08 am »
Yes, this is very typical of this yeast strain, the krausen stays on for 4-5 weeks.  You can be patient, or you can try racking and adding gelatin to knock most of the yeast out of there in secondary.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:23:02 am »
Is it the yeast, or is it the proteins in the wheat that do it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:17:11 pm »
Hmm.......... I think it's more the yeast.  I've used other yeasts in wheat beers where the krausen falls like normal.  This strain it has staying power, just like 2565.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:26:59 pm »
Is it the yeast, or is it the proteins in the wheat that do it?

Top cropping yeast. When the beer is done it is done. Commercial brewers don't wait for the krausen to fall back into the beer. You should know your FG (specifically by forced fermentation test) and when it's done you can feel safe to rack.