Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels  (Read 2802 times)

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels
« on: September 12, 2019, 04:38:25 pm »
Leaving Saturday for Amsterdam for a few days, then on to Brussels for about 2 weeks.

Will think about all of you while raising another glass! 8)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Headed for Amsterdam and Brussels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 05:03:17 am »
Leaving Saturday for Amsterdam for a few days, then on to Brussels for about 2 weeks.

Will think about all of you while raising another glass! 8)

Have fun!  Brussels is  a beautiful city.  Take a day trip out to Brugges if you're there for 2 weeks.  It's a very nice ancient town/tourist magnet.

I haven't been to Amsterdam.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:39:55 am »
2 things I highly reccomend in Brussels....the Musical Instrument Museum and especially this beer and chocolate walking tour....https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g1136493-d12863472-Hungry_Mary_s_Famous_Beer_and_Chocolate_Tour_Brussels-Ixelles_Brussels.html

Not only great chocolates and beer (and lots of both!) but Adrian, the guide has lots of info about the architecture and history of Brussels.  Great tips on which bars to avoid, and you go to some of the historic bars of Brussels. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:09:32 am »
Thanks for the link, Denny. Will be working, most likely night shift, but that might leave some daylight time for exploration 8)

Offline Pinchart

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:25:58 am »
Don't buy anything around the Grand-Place,  the prices are high for tourists (and don't go into a restaurant in this area,  everything is too expensive. )
For bars:
- Moeder Lambiek place Fontainas  (a lot of craft beers )
- L'atelier rue Élise (small but a lot of Belgian beers)
- if you don't have one in your city there is a Brewdog bar in front of Gare Centrale
- a myth: Delirium, impasse de la fidélité  ( 2000 beers) - close to Grand-Place

Don't go to La Bécasse.  It has been sold and the beers are now industrial ones.

If you want to buy beers, go to the Carrefour Supermarket in Kraainem. They propose 600 beers at à normal price.

And you MUST visit Cantillon. Close to this historical brewery, you have a craft one, L'ermitage.

Envoyé de mon SM-A500FU en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:06:57 pm »
 Brouwerij 't IJ in Amsterdam.   Small brewery with a great selection, best dopplebock I’ve ever tasted, lively crowd of locals, closes early.

+1 for the musical instrument museum in Brussels.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline AzBruin

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 08:21:44 pm »
Well, the Brussels part of the trip is cancelled. The aircraft operator found hangar space in Amsterdam, so all the repairs will be completed there. I was really looking forward to the Brussels segment. :'(

Offline Pinchart

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 02:18:55 am »
I confirm 't Ij Brouwerij produces very good beers. I didn't have the luck to visit it but I tasted their beers.

Offline NellyP03

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 02:16:56 am »
When you go to Amsterdam, definitely try some of the beers that originate from Holland, like Amstel, Dommelsch, Grolsch, Bavaria, and Heineken!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 06:31:45 am »
Worth noting that Duvel have a stake in IJ, so I'd imagine you should be able to get them across the pond.

As for Dutch beers, don't forget Newcastle Brown Ale...

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 04:38:11 pm »
I'm planning a trip to Belgium in the spring.  I'm considering going to Brussels and Bruges with a stop in Ghent perhaps. 

I would like to go out to Westvlerten to get some beer.  Has anyone done this?  How did you get out there?  It looks like it is about an hour from Bruges.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 05:55:28 am »
There's a great thread here on buying from St Sixtus on HBT :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-journey-to-belgium-to-buy-westvleteren.666899/

If you just turn up on spec you've got a good chance of being able to buy beer to take away from the café, and usually 12 will be one of the beers available for takeaway, and you can always drink the full range in the café.

It is in the middle of nowhere though - I'd brought my car across the Channel, it would be a pretty easy bike ride from Poperinge if you wanted to do that. (ditto St Bernardus)

Bruges is nice but very touristy, some great pubs though (and they are pubs not bars). Ghent a bit less touristy but nice, I'm not so much a fan of Brussels. Poperinge is lovely, has some interesting WWI history and a hop museum.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 07:38:38 am »
I Form a beer and chocolate walking tour in Brussels that I highly recommendhttps://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g188644-d12863472-Be...

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 10:04:05 am »
I'm planning a trip to Belgium in the spring.  I'm considering going to Brussels and Bruges with a stop in Ghent perhaps. 

I would like to go out to Westvlerten to get some beer.  Has anyone done this?  How did you get out there?  It looks like it is about an hour from Bruges.
We rented a car when we were in Belgium to get to Westvletren and St Bernardus.  There's a Bed and Breakfast adjacent to St Bernardus that we stayed at, pretty cool as they had an honor bar stocked with their beer.  There was no additional fee to rent a car in one city and drop off in another.  Getting out of the touristy areas to see the countryside and the WWI museum were some of the highlights of our trip.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 11:17:32 am »

We rented a car when we were in Belgium to get to Westvletren and St Bernardus.  There's a Bed and Breakfast adjacent to St Bernardus that we stayed at, pretty cool as they had an honor bar stocked with their beer.  There was no additional fee to rent a car in one city and drop off in another.  Getting out of the touristy areas to see the countryside and the WWI museum were some of the highlights of our trip.

We stayed in Bruges and drove down to Westvletern. Took all back roads and it was a beautiful drive.

www.dennybrew.com