General Category > Ingredients

Leaf growing out of a hop cone

(1/2) > >>

Bruce B:
I've never seen this before with my home grown hops.  Is this okay to use?  The leafs are coming out from inside the cone.

weithman5:
it should be okay. i would pull most of it out before drying anyway.

witsok:
I've had this every year, especially on my Santiams.  I too just pull the leaves from the cone before I dry them.  I neevr noticed any defects from these cones.

dmtaylor:
I've got a lot of these this year on both my Cascades and my Hallertauers.  I think it might have something to do with being such a rainy year.  Or who knows.  I take the extra leaves out from inside the hops and use them anyway.  They still have plenty of good lupulin.  Some people think the hops with leaves growing out are the over-ripe stage, but I've come to realize that this is a false assumption, as you can have leaves while the hops are still very wet and grassy (not ripe yet).

BrewArk:

--- Quote from: Bruce B on August 22, 2010, 11:28:38 AM ---I've never seen this before with my home grown hops.  Is this okay to use?  The leafs are coming out from inside the cone.

--- End quote ---

Depends on how you're gone use 'em.  Roll 'em & smoke 'em, or make beer out of them.

But seriously, I've always pulled the stems out and used them normally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version