Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wee heavy dry yeast?  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Wee heavy dry yeast?
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:23:28 am »
Any suggestions for a dry yeast in a wee heavy?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Wee heavy dry yeast?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:37:35 am »
Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale would be my choice.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 11:38:41 am »
I think I'd go for S189.  It's a lager yeast, but I generally ferment wee heavy with WY1728 in the mid 50s anyway.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:53:31 am »
I think I'd go for S189.  It's a lager yeast, but I generally ferment wee heavy with WY1728 in the mid 50s anyway.

Hey Denny, I try to do a belhaven clone beer some while ago, and they said to ferment with low temp, I did the beer was not good, but not because of the temp of the fermentation, but I never found a answer for the question, why at low temp?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 12:04:05 pm »

Hey Denny, I try to do a belhaven clone beer some while ago, and they said to ferment with low temp, I did the beer was not good, but not because of the temp of the fermentation, but I never found a answer for the question, why at low temp?

I do it because it keeps the beer cleaner and gives me the result I'm looking for.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:01:56 pm »
I like S-04 mainly because I copied an 1851 Wm Younger 120/- from Ron Pattinson and based on the FG, S-04 was spot on. It ferments fast, flocculates like a stone, and leaves the body and character I believe the original recipe is calling for with the WLP028 Edinburgh Ale.

That recipe is basically a SMaSH so is more pale than the guidelines call for.  It also has more bitterness than the guidelines allow. So much for BJCP guidelines ...but I do want to try it with a bit of DRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 03:08:46 pm »
I like S-04 mainly because I copied an 1851 Wm Younger 120/- from Ron Pattinson and based on the FG, S-04 was spot on. It ferments fast, flocculates like a stone, and leaves the body and character I believe the original recipe is calling for with the WLP028 Edinburgh Ale.

That recipe is basically a SMaSH so is more pale than the guidelines call for.  It also has more bitterness than the guidelines allow. So much for BJCP guidelines

I don't think very many of Ron's recipes fit into BJCP guidelines. Even though his recipes are based on actual brewery logs and records.

https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2019/03/lets-brew-wednesday-1851-william.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:11:56 pm by Kevin »
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 04:27:21 pm »

That recipe is basically a SMaSH so is more pale than the guidelines call for.  It also has more bitterness than the guidelines allow. So much for BJCP guidelines

I don't think very many of Ron's recipes fit into BJCP guidelines. Even though his recipes are based on actual brewery logs and records.

https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2019/03/lets-brew-wednesday-1851-william.html

BJCP guidelines are great for homebrew comps, but not so much for the real world

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 04:58:10 pm »
I haven't made a wee heavy in quite a while, but these days I think I'd try S-04, due to its high attenuation that can overcome the relatively high gravity.  I like the idea of S-189 though, that could be really quite good too.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 05:15:45 pm »
I really like S-189 and I'll be brewing this late in the year when I used it last year on other "ales" with good results. Although I might ask Santa for some 1728.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 08:45:06 am »
   I'd probably split the batch between 1728 and M-42. I did a wee heavy a few months back & split between 1728 and M-15, the M-15 was a train wreck but the 1728 turned out pretty well, O.G. 1.097 to F.G. 1.026 in about 12 days for 72% AA. I recently used S-04 for the 1st time in years on an ESB, it certainly does ferment fast, drop hard and produce a lot of esteryness, but at 72% AA was lower attenuating than the half with US-05 which hit 78% AA. I haven't tried S-189 yet but it's on my list.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 05:37:13 pm »
I never found a answer for the question, why at low temp?

Because it's cold in Scotland and brewers there historically fermented at ambient temperatures, which meant typically pitching at 60F, sometimes lower.

Wee Heavy is one of those non-styles like ESB that really refers to a single beer, Fowler's 12 Guinea - Ron Pattinson has a good history here, in the 19th century it was 12%, with an OG of 1.159 and an FG of 1.068!! Apparent attenuation was never more than 75%, around 70% was more typical.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 08:12:57 am »

Because it's cold in Scotland and brewers there historically fermented at ambient temperatures, which meant typically pitching at 60F, sometimes lower.

Wee Heavy is one of those non-styles like ESB that really refers to a single beer, Fowler's 12 Guinea - Ron Pattinson has a good history here, in the 19th century it was 12%, with an OG of 1.159 and an FG of 1.068!! Apparent attenuation was never more than 75%, around 70% was more typical.

Personally, I don't care what they did beyond curiosity.  I care about what makes the beer I want to drink.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 11:41:29 am »

Personally, I don't care what they did beyond curiosity.  I care about what makes the beer I want to drink.
Right on.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 02:35:37 am »

That's absolutely fine - just don't use the phrase "wee heavy" when talking about it.

Communication breaks down if we use the same phrase to describe different things.