Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Problem with Patersbier  (Read 2359 times)

Offline stavesacre

• 1st Kit
Problem with Patersbier
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:50:58 pm »
Hey! New brewer here, and after a brief browsing I didn't see anything that answered my question, so here goes:

I brewed the Northern Breweres Patersbier kit on the 28th of June, and racked it to a keg on the 5th of July. My gravity when I pitched was 1.040.
I checked my gravity on the 13th and it was around 1.010.
I force carbonated around the 15th of Aug (in the same keg) and when I tasted on the 17th it was pretty green apple tasting at the end.
Am I screwed since I've already carbonated it? A friend recommended bringing it up to room temp and let it set for a couple of weeks.
Another friend said that I should pump it to a fresh keg that has a bit of sugar (candy since it is a belgian style) and let the yeast go to work again to get the flavor out.
What's the best course of action? I appreciate the help.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Problem with Patersbier
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »
What you refer to as a green apple flavor is known as Acetaldehyde. Typically caused by racking too soon. What yeast did you use . .the 3787 as recommended with the kit? I think I'd at least try bringing it up to room temp for a couple of weeks. You will have to bleed of the CO2 pressure if there is ANY hope of resurrecting some yeast in the beer to finish the clean up.

Next time, let the beer sit on the yeast a little longer before kegging, take a hydrometer sample and taste it to see if it's ready to be kegged.
Just brew it...

Offline stavesacre

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:08:57 pm »
Thanks Dhacker for the response.

I did use the 3787, high gravity yeast that was recommended by the kit.
I figured that it was due to racking too soon.
When you say bleed off the CO2, do you mean just popping the pin on the top of the keg periodically? I can't think of another way to do so.
Should I agitate the beer at all to get the settled yeast back into suspension?
Thanks again!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »
Thanks Dhacker for the response.

I did use the 3787, high gravity yeast that was recommended by the kit.
I figured that it was due to racking too soon.

When you say bleed off the CO2, do you mean just popping the pin on the top of the keg periodically? Yes, bleed the pressure off the keg by using the pressure relief valve on top of the lid.

Should I agitate the beer at all to get the settled yeast back into suspension?  Wouldn't hurt to try. If there are any viable yeast left in the keg, it might take a while for them to clean up. So don't expect immediate gratification!  ;)

Just brew it...