Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Potential Extract of Rye Malt.  (Read 2454 times)

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
Potential Extract of Rye Malt.
« on: September 22, 2019, 05:08:40 pm »
The potential extract of rye malt is listed at 1.029, and I was aware of that going into this. BeerSmith takes care of that, but I'm getting some OG results that I don't understand:

Rye Brew   % Rye   Calc OG   Actual OG
13      35.0%    1.052   1.059
12      28.6%     1.055   1.058
11      28.6%   1.055   1.055
10      28.6%   1.055   1.062
 9      26.2%   1.055   1.060

My all malted barley brews are spot on, and rye 11 is spot on, but the others are high. And Rye 10 is crazy high!

All gravities were taken with Plato Saccharometers (which are pretty damn accurate) and temperature corrected. Usually I take three or four readings as the temperature rises, and they all agree. So I'm getting crazy efficiency on some (but not all) of these rye brews!

The OG samples are taken using the wort that remains in my Thermonator after the brew is chilled which is usually around 200ml. So I'm pretty sure that sampling error is not the issue. My balance is calibrated, and I'm pretty good at taking measurements, so that's not the issue either.

Charlie
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:25:20 pm by charlie »
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Potential Extract of Rye Malt.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 07:42:22 pm »
Are these all from the same sack of grain?  Same maltster?  Is the 1.029 expectation a ‘rule of thumb’ that can be explained by variations in an agricultural product?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 07:53:15 pm »
Who’s the maltster? I use weyermann and a trusted source reported that 1.036 is an accurate potential extract.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 07:57:28 pm »
1.029 sounds crazy low to me.  Rye is a naked grain with a crap ton of starch.  Analyses I've seen give extract potential even higher than wheat malt,  just shy of corn adjunct, like around 84% FGDB.  I'd extrapolate a realistic number from your actual results, and plug that into your software in the future.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »
Briess lists the potential from their rye malt at1.037 ( 80% yield). Viking lists theirs at 81% yield. I tend to trust the maltster's analysis.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:39:03 pm by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 08:40:46 pm »
I have a sheet from Briess that lists theirs at 84%.  Like any brewing ingredient,  it's an agricultural product and probably highly variable, but still the figure in the OP seems entirely out of range.  Ideally, get a lot analysis.   Realistically, infer your own.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 08:24:35 am »
1.029 sounds crazy low to me.  Rye is a naked grain with a crap ton of starch.  Analyses I've seen give extract potential even higher than wheat malt,  just shy of corn adjunct, like around 84% FGDB.  I'd extrapolate a realistic number from your actual results, and plug that into your software in the future.

I agree.  I use 1.036 for both Briess and Mecca Grade rye malt and it works for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 10:35:00 am »
Maltster? Whatever my LBHS gets. I recall Briess, a generic batch from LD Carlson, and a couple I don't remember being attributed. The rye I have queued up for the next batch is "American Rye Malt" from a company called "Brewmaster". I habitually use Briess 5298 base malt, so I'll start paying attention.

Those are excellent observations! Thanks guys.

UPDATE: Brewmaster's website says that their rye malt is Briess 5332 Rye Malt, and the data sheet says that its potential extract, DBFG, is 80%. That calculates out to a potential of  1.0369. I'm going to change my brew program accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 03:44:32 pm by charlie »
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 04:24:15 pm »
This issue reminded me of a situation I encountered in 2009-10. I was an all grain newbie having mashed in on my first brew January 4, 2009, and as I became more experienced I began documenting my brews pretty heavily. This included taking OG and FG readings and looking at my mash efficiency.

I was using BeerSmith at the time, and I started getting some crazy efficiency readings. I mean 90% crazy! I mentioned it on my club's forum and they started saying that the beer fairy was smiling on me. But it turned out to be nothing of the kind. I was doing two things wrong:

1. I neglected to take the 4% shrinkage of boiling wort when chilled to 68F into consideration.

2. I was taking my OG samples from the dregs of the boil kettle.

The problem with #1 is obvious, but what was happening with #2 is that it might be 30 minutes or more post-boil until I collected the OG sample. In that 30 minutes or so the  remaining wort in the hot kettle was evaporating and concentrating. Once I factored in the 4% and began taking my OG sample from the Thermonator the errors disappeared.

Here's an article that I thought might be of interest to the group.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2014/11/05/brewhouse-efficiency-vs-mash-efficiency-in-all-grain-beer-brewing/#targetText=Mash%20efficiency%20is%20simply%20the,points%20extracted%20from%20the%20mash.

Charlie

Offline BrewBama

Potential Extract of Rye Malt.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 04:55:38 pm »
Good stuff Charlie.

Ck this out: when was a kid I thought I lived in Shreveport–Bossier because all three TV channels we got on the Curtis Mathis were from there. I later learned I was from Kilgore Texas (~45 min W).  LOL

Cheers my friend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 06:53:26 pm »
Good stuff Charlie.

Ck this out: when was a kid I thought I lived in Shreveport–Bossier because all three TV channels we got on the Curtis Mathis were from there. I later learned I was from Kilgore Texas (~45 min W).  LOL

Cheers my friend!

I know Kilgore well. My dad and I delivered and picked up a bunch of drilling equipment in Kilgore in the early '70s. Good times!

Charlie

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 05:07:10 pm »
I may have figured this out.

Yesterday I brewed Ver 15 of my 40% Rye Pale Ale. Calculated OG was 1.056 using 1.035 potential extract for the rye, but my actual OG came in at 1.048. This batch of rye came from Briess, and they list the extract FGDB at 80%, but it still came in at 1.029 PPPPG, and putting that number in the program produces an OG of exactly 1.048. I hope we get some other kind of rye malt soon so that I can test this out further.

Charlie

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 02:47:50 pm »
Rye can be tricky to crush right (which can lead to lower efficiency) and it can also contribute to clogged/stuck mash tuns. A stuck mash/sparge can also lead to lower efficiency. Make sure your malt is crushed properly and your mash tun drains effectively and your gravity will be more consistent. I learned both of those things the hard way.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 09:34:42 am »
   I've never had a problem milling rye malt. If you condition your mat before milling though, you'll want to add the rye and any other huskless grains AFTER conditioning, I've really gummed up the mill before when I brain farted and conditioned the rye with the rest of the grist.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 07:27:49 pm »
Rye can be tricky to crush right (which can lead to lower efficiency) and it can also contribute to clogged/stuck mash tuns. A stuck mash/sparge can also lead to lower efficiency. Make sure your malt is crushed properly and your mash tun drains effectively and your gravity will be more consistent. I learned both of those things the hard way.

I'm the OP, and the reason for my post was not low efficiency but high efficiency. Using the reported 1.029 potential extract of rye I have always come in high. It was only by changing the potential extract to 1.035 that I was able to square my OG with the result. But this last brew came in low.

My mill (3 row Crankandstein) has always produced good results. The gap is set on 0.035, and it hasn't changed. I am willing to concede that I may have got a partially stuck mash on the last batch (i.e channeling instead of my usual plug flow) but I dunno. Maybe I'll add a couple lbs of rice hulls to the next batch and see what it does.

Charlie