Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: rice lager  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: rice lager
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 03:09:51 pm »
There are other options like malted rice and rice extract.
Check out "Experimenting with rice" in the March/April   2018 BYO.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 05:30:58 pm »

What Scott Janish describes appears to be the normal way of cooking rice and then adding to mash. 

From what I understand, this can be done with other grains and skip the cereal mashing. I have heard this about spelt, rice, quinoa, teff, millet, and other grains.

Can anyone confirm that by cooking the grain, then adding it to the mash, you can skip the cereal mash and still get the same effect?

Sorry about being slightly off-topic.
In a cereal mash using 5-10% of the malt (or bacterial alpha amylase,) alpha amylase liquefies the adjunct by attacking the amylopectin skin of the gelatinized starch granules.  This not only keeps the adjunct mash from becoming a gloppy, harder to handle and incorporate, mess, but also opens up the adjunct starch making it fully available for conversion.  It is possible to skip this and just boil the adjunct, if you don't mind handling the gummy mass and don't mind the reduced availability of the starches.  It is probably of less concern to homebrewers, who are not trying to pump their cereal mash and can accept reduced yield and efficiency, than to commercial brewers.

Thanks Rob. I appreciate the explanation.
Ralph R.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 06:50:50 am »
I knew about minute rice from reading about it somewhere.

I don't mind doing cereal mashes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 06:53:34 am »
I used 16% flaked rice and it went from 1.040 to 1.007. This was just a test using US-05. Going to use a lager yeast sometime this spring.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 09:17:24 am »
I use Minute Rice, right into the mash.
Good to know!  Works just like flakes then, but cheaper!  That will make it my future choice for rice.

Gee, I  thought that was well known!  Sorry to have never mentioned it before.

I think I forgot about this. Any worries of a stuck mash? I will be using a considerable amount so some rice hulls might be in order.

I don't think I've ever gone over 20% and never had a problem.  But it depends on your lauter design, and mine has never had a stuck runoff with anything, so I don't worry about it.  If yours  is prone to sticking you might want some hulls.

Thanks. I usually don't have an issue but 20% rye gave me problems recently. I planning on over 30% rice.

Rye is a whole different breed of cat from rice, especially when it come to gumming things up.
  Glad to know about minute rice, I probably would have never thought of it. I don't care to do cereal mashes unless there is a specific reason too as to me they are a PITA. The last time I did one was to see if Red rice would contribute anything to the color of the finished beer, it didn't. One of these days I'll get around to trying Black rice, I'm pretty sure it'll have an effect, but that's a project that's easy to keep procrastinating on.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 09:39:24 am »
^^^^
I bet no rice makes a color impact.  Colored malts do it by contributing Maillard and caramelization products from malting.  Corn doesn't make a beer more yellow than rice, IME.  But it would be interesting to hear your results.

What I do imagine would be interesting is trying to get different flavors from, say, Basmati rice, Jasmine rice, etc.  Just like corn is a much more flavorful adjunct than plain rice is.  Anybody have experience with this?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 11:47:51 am »
^^^^
I bet no rice makes a color impact.  Colored malts do it by contributing Maillard and caramelization products from malting.  Corn doesn't make a beer more yellow than rice, IME.  But it would be interesting to hear your results.

What I do imagine would be interesting is trying to get different flavors from, say, Basmati rice, Jasmine rice, etc.  Just like corn is a much more flavorful adjunct than plain rice is.  Anybody have experience with this?

I've had beers made with both Jasmine and black rice.   The Jasmine had a flavor impact and the black contributed color.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »
^^^^

I've had a very nice PrePro Pils in ABQ, made with native blue corn. It was the same color as any other PrePro Pils. I have no idea why some color didn't come through.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 07:30:22 am »
As to using instant adjuncts, the same holds for oatmeal - a well known brewer I know uses Quaker instant breakfast oats with no problems.  He has won many awards for his oatmeal stouts using instant oats.  Just thought I would mention that for the OP.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2019, 08:41:42 am »
As to using instant adjuncts, the same holds for oatmeal - a well known brewer I know uses Quaker instant breakfast oats with no problems.  He has won many awards for his oatmeal stouts using instant oats.  Just thought I would mention that for the OP.

I use quick oats from the bulk bins at the grocery store. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2019, 08:45:01 am »
Okay, Quaker instant grits instead of flaked maize, anybody?  I don't know how that's processed, whether it's precooked or just finely ground.  (Or if I'm really that cheap. ;) )
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2019, 08:57:09 am »
^^^^

I've had beers made with both Jasmine and black rice.   The Jasmine had a flavor impact and the black contributed color.

I did a cream ale with Jasmine rice but didn't get around to doing the same beer with flaked rice so I can't know if there'd be a noticeable difference. As for black rice, when cooking it definitely turns the boiling water into black ink so Denny's experience isn't surprising, and I wouldn't be surprised if it affected flavor as well. Black rice and black beans, to me at least, are way out there in worlds of their own when compared to other types of rice and beans.
   As for oats, I just use regular rolled oats. Are instant grits any cheaper than flaked maize Rob? Not being a fan of grits I've never priced them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:00:07 am by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!