Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much head  (Read 1068 times)

Offline David D

• 1st Kit
Too much head
« on: March 18, 2020, 04:57:16 pm »
Running my lines at 8psi (duel keg), keep lines above the kegs, temp at 42 degrees. Tried rebleeding lines, lowering psi, even letting lines hang lower. Also have tried bleeding at the keg itself. Both are I.P.A. Too much head and i can hear air in the lines. Connections are tight. Any thoughts, never had this prob this long, thanks.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Too much head
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:13:24 pm »
OK, after suppressing all the tasteless thoughts that came to mind after reading the subject line, some more rational questions came up:  How long are your lines?  Are these full kegs that were recently burst carbonated, and if so to what psi and for how long?  Possible that your gauge is inaccurate?  Are your lines and equipment the same ones you've been using for awhile without this issue?
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:56:22 pm »
When I troubleshoot a problem, I always go back to when it worked as advertised, then ask, “what happened to change that”.  If it was some good idea I had that jacked everything up, I undo whatever I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:10:33 am »
I start with disconnecting the gas, then pour off by the pitcher until I get down to a pourable by the glass situation.  It helps to have others there to assist with consumption.  I usually have no problem with that aspect.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 08:43:25 am »
Another question, at what pressure did you carbonate the beer?  If you force carbonated and used a higher pressure than serving pressure you will haave foaming issues.

Just my .02
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 11:13:08 am »
OK, after suppressing all the tasteless thoughts that came to mind after reading the subject line, some more rational questions came up:

I'll go there! outside of beer... no such thing!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 06:33:49 pm »
Happens to me when I burst carbonate.  I still don't have the time/temp/pressure worked out.  If I slow carb, no problem, but sometimes I'm in a bind and try to rush it.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 05:42:40 am »
Another question, at what pressure did you carbonate the beer?  If you force carbonated and used a higher pressure than serving pressure you will haave foaming issues.

Just my .02
The solution in this case is to vent your kegs until your line pressure reaches 8 psi then wait a bit before trying to pour.