Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: JaDeD SS chiller?  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: JaDeD SS chiller?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 11:57:45 am »
My "beta" version arrived today.   I'll give a thorough report after I use it, hopefully on Sunday!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 11:59:36 am »
Sexy!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 12:03:45 pm »
Sexy!
It's the blingiest thing I own!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »
Any ideas what they're going to charge for it?

I kind of wish they'd do an SS counterflow.

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 01:02:53 pm »
AFAIK about $200 ($199.99 or whatever,) so a bit more than the copper one, but not outrageously so. 

I also want to make it clear that I did not get this for free, I'm not obligated to, or being compensated by, them in any way, so my review will be completely objective.   I did get a slight discount, because it is a pre sale, beta model.  I just made some inquiries,  and was lucky to be put in touch with them and get on a list.

There are some SS counterflow chillers out there, Wilbur, like Stout, but I don't know anything about them firsthand.  I have no interest in counterflow.  I like the sanitary aspect of an IC, and being able to leave all the break in the kettle and not chew it up in a pump.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 03:04:15 pm »
Cool.  I also heard from an insider that the chilling time is much faster than other chilling methods if you merely lift and swish the chiller in the wort.  Supposedly as fast if not slightly faster than a CFC or plate chiller at a typical pace.  Something like single digit minutes for 5 gallons.

Supposedly thinner walls on the SS version helps speed the process, too.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 06:11:59 pm »
https://jadedbrewing.com/pages/immersion-wort-chiller-optimization

Jaded talks about it here.

I like the design of their counterflow, it looks like you can really get in there with a brush to clean it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 06:34:42 pm »
You need to have good flow in and out, turbulent flow will eliminate the boundary layer.

The wort side needs to be stirred. I have a thermometer in my brew kettle, if you the wort a good stir it will drop 5-20 degrees quickly. Why? The chilled wort will stay by the coils, stirring will mix it all up. If you just chill and not stir you can get there, but you're at the mercy of weak bouancy forces to mix. That is slow.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 01:53:54 pm »
Ahoy!

Shakedown cruise of the SS Hydra complete!  It has surpassed my minimum goal of being at least faster than my old copper chiller, and perhaps then some: it seems flow rate has a considerable impact  on getting peak performance.

I used the same two stage procedure I've been using with my 50' x 3/8" copper chiller:  run tap water to at least below 100°F, then switch over to a utility pump circulating ice water.

Flow rate of my kitchen faucet for the first stage was just 2 gpm, while JaDeD says 6 gpm is optimal.   The pump will surpass this of course.  Temperature of the tap water was 46-47°F.

First stage, in 6 minutes 6.6 gallons of wort were down to 88°F.  Lately I've been around 10 minutes to get into the 90s, but the difference here wasn't huge. 

Second stage recirculating ice water (after a 3 minute pause to switch over) took it down to 44°F in just 10 more minutes.   Last time out was just over 20 minutes to 49°F.  So there was a significant difference.

I think I could improve performance by learning optimal methods for stirring and agitating.  Especially at the beginning of today's run, I was struggling with this, because the configuration of the Hydra won't allow the same stirring technique I'm used to -- there's a lot more going on in the kettle.  I started to get the hang of it.  It's also confusing me because it's wound, and has the in/out fittings, backwards from my homemade chiller.   But overall, with a total elapsed time more than 1/3 less than the fastest I can do with my old copper chiller, and having gotten more than 5°F colder than when  I usually call it quits, I think I'm pleased.  It's stainless, and it's fast.  Even if not as fast as advertised, at least in my circumstances (again, advertised speeds clearly depend on flow rate.  So I can only make a relative comparison to my old chiller.) 

Next time I will probably switch over to pumping ice water a bit sooner, since that is clearly where I got the best performance.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 02:41:56 pm »
Ahoy!

Shakedown cruise of the SS Hydra complete!  It has surpassed my minimum goal of being at least faster than my old copper chiller, and perhaps then some: it seems flow rate has a considerable impact  on getting peak performance.

I used the same two stage procedure I've been using with my 50' x 3/8" copper chiller:  run tap water to at least below 100°F, then switch over to a utility pump circulating ice water.

Flow rate of my kitchen faucet for the first stage was just 2 gpm, while JaDeD says 6 gpm is optimal.   The pump will surpass this of course.  Temperature of the tap water was 46-47°F.

First stage, in 6 minutes 6.6 gallons of wort were down to 88°F.  Lately I've been around 10 minutes to get into the 90s, but the difference here wasn't huge. 

Second stage recirculating ice water (after a 3 minute pause to switch over) took it down to 44°F in just 10 more minutes.   Last time out was just over 20 minutes to 49°F.  So there was a significant difference.

I think I could improve performance by learning optimal methods for stirring and agitating.  Especially at the beginning of today's run, I was struggling with this, because the configuration of the Hydra won't allow the same stirring technique I'm used to -- there's a lot more going on in the kettle.  I started to get the hang of it.  It's also confusing me because it's wound, and has the in/out fittings, backwards from my homemade chiller.   But overall, with a total elapsed time more than 1/3 less than the fastest I can do with my old copper chiller, and having gotten more than 5°F colder than when  I usually call it quits, I think I'm pleased.  It's stainless, and it's fast.  Even if not as fast as advertised, at least in my circumstances (again, advertised speeds clearly depend on flow rate.  So I can only make a relative comparison to my old chiller.) 

Next time I will probably switch over to pumping ice water a bit sooner, since that is clearly where I got the best performance.

I found stirring cumbersome enough that I attached a whirlpool arm.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2020, 02:52:46 pm »
Ahoy!

I found stirring cumbersome enough that I attached a whirlpool arm.

The irony is, the Hydra itself would probably make the best stir stick, since it has so much area. It will move wort around way better than any spoon.  But I was a little taken aback at how heavy it is when full of water, since it's so light on its own!  Anyway, that was the first use.  I know I'll only get better results as I get used to it.  Pretty happy with it, it's definitely a big upgrade for me.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

JaDeD SS chiller?
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2020, 02:58:22 pm »
I used to whirlpool with my Hydra but now I simply lift it carefully and set it back in a few times while the water is running. The lifting and returning stir the wort enough to keep the temperature dropping.

Edit: The same effect could probably be accomplished by just gently turning the Hydra left and right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:02:46 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2020, 03:02:16 pm »
I used to whirlpool with my hydra but now I simply lift it carefully and set it back in a few times while the water is running. The lifting and returning stir the wort enough to keep the temperature dropping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So just occasionally moving it around?  That sounds easy enough.   I'll try that next time.  Thanks for the tip.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2020, 02:52:16 pm »
So today was my second run with the SS Hydra, and I'm learning how to get the most out of it.   I tried just gently moving the chiller around, rather than stirring the wort, and the improvement was significant.  Even including several minutes each for initially hooking up and getting it in, and then switching to recirculating ice water, I took 7 gallons from boiling to 44°F in less than 20 minutes from flame out, and that's still with my paltry 2 gpm on the tap water stage.  I am very pleased with this thing. :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 03:34:21 pm »
So today was my second run with the SS Hydra, and I'm learning how to get the most out of it.   I tried just gently moving the chiller around, rather than stirring the wort, and the improvement was significant.  Even including several minutes each for initially hooking up and getting it in, and then switching to recirculating ice water, I took 7 gallons from boiling to 44°F in less than 20 minutes from flame out, and that's still with my paltry 2 gpm on the tap water stage.  I am very pleased with this thing. :)

Very cool!  Glad you're enjoying it. If you have a chance, I'm sure Clay woukd love to hear your results.

www.dennybrew.com