Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: water profiles  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: water profiles
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2021, 09:12:38 am »
Sorry to muddy the water for you .

I hope your beers do well in the Bluebonnet. Report back to tell us what feedback you received.

Cheers!

No worries! Yes, 9 entries total.

Munich Helles (2)
London Porter (3)
Fest Bier (1)
Oktoberfest (1)
APA (1)
British Golden Ale (1)

A full report will be posted here...the good, the bad, and the ugly!

I think the APA, Porter, and Fest Bier will do well. Maybe the British Golden Ale also.

But they did not have enough BJCP judges, so an all-call was sent to anyone and everyone who wanted to volunteer to be a judge. I'm not very confident with this.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2021, 04:07:39 pm »
Best of luck in the competitions - one thing to realize is that any number of handling issues can affect your entries, so be ready to take that into account.  It is a good idea to keep a sample back to drink with the scoresheet in hand, because if the judge noted a specific condition, it may have arisen after leaving your hands or it may have simply arisen over the delay in time from some other reason.  Especially with the light beers - they just don’t always hold up if stored warm, for example.  I like to bottle condition for this reason, when possible.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2021, 05:12:20 pm »
Best of luck in the competitions - one thing to realize is that any number of handling issues can affect your entries, so be ready to take that into account.  It is a good idea to keep a sample back to drink with the scoresheet in hand, because if the judge noted a specific condition, it may have arisen after leaving your hands or it may have simply arisen over the delay in time from some other reason.  Especially with the light beers - they just don’t always hold up if stored warm, for example.  I like to bottle condition for this reason, when possible.

Thank you. Yes, that is a concern, handling and storage. We will see. I bottled the Oktoberfest and then sampled the beer several weeks later. Not the same, not at all. And I stored the bottles cold.
Not getting my hopes up.
But all entries will be subjected to the same conditions.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2021, 06:02:57 pm »
But they did not have enough BJCP judges, so an all-call was sent to anyone and everyone who wanted to volunteer to be a judge. I'm not very confident with this.

Ick.  Good luck with that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.