Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sam Adams Oktoberfest  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Sam Adams Oktoberfest
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
I've seen 4 packs of standard bottles around.  Ayinger may use that name because they want to suggest "Oktoberfest," but only the member breweries within the Munich city limits are allowed to use the O-word. Otherwise it is definitely a good example of a Märzen. Some say a good approach to the recipe is heavier on the Munich (maybe blending Munich 1 and Munich 2,) lighter on the Pils, and a decent bit of CaraMunich 2 (maybe 5%?)  That's at least a place to start. WLP833 is supposed to be Ayinger yeast.  Prost!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2019, 02:05:16 pm »
11% C-60

That’s a lot of C60.  I’ll save my money and let you guys continue the market research. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline baltocharlie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 04:53:37 pm »
Well I picked up 3 bombers (17oz) of Ayinger today and a sixer of Hacker Pschorr:) I can't drink tonight though. 

My Oktoberfest (I don't live in Munich:) recipe is Munich 50%, Vienna 33% and Pils 17%, and use wlp833.  I always double decoct and  brew in the winter on the back porch, ferment for 1 month in an old coal cold room (50F) in my basement. Long cold brewday but the results are usually good.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 07:22:14 pm »
11% C-60

That’s a lot of C60.  I’ll save my money and let you guys continue the market research. 

I just saw it in the store and passed based on this conversation. Sierra Nevada is actually one of the few breweries I trust to do beers right. But, I prefer a festbier over and Oktoberfest.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2019, 09:02:15 pm »
I've seen 4 packs of standard bottles around.  Ayinger may use that name because they want to suggest "Oktoberfest," but only the member breweries within the Munich city limits are allowed to use the O-word. Otherwise it is definitely a good example of a Märzen. Some say a good approach to the recipe is heavier on the Munich (maybe blending Munich 1 and Munich 2,) lighter on the Pils, and a decent bit of CaraMunich 2 (maybe 5%?)  That's at least a place to start. WLP833 is supposed to be Ayinger yeast.  Prost!

Ayinger has 4 malts for lagers, Pils, Munich, CaraMunich, and Carafa. They also have Wheat malt for Weiẞbier, and Simimar for cooler. Not sure if it is Munich 1 or 2, my guess is 2. Basesd on two tours there.

Had an Ayinger at the local multitap, as part of a flight, and it was a grape bomb. This place cleans lines on a schedule, and in the past just before the O'fests as the owner loves them. The Haufbrau, Spaten, and Paulaner were all good.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2019, 07:00:18 am »
Well this thread has lead me in a completely different direction than I anticipated - but that’s a good thing!  I went on a quest yesterday to find a SN and a Hofbrauhaus Oktoberfest / Märzen and was not successful.  However, I was able to find a Märzen by Weltenburger Kloster and another by Dinkel Acker - both imports.  I thoroughly enjoyed both.  However, they didn’t finish as dry as I expected, but they did finish much dryer than the SA Oktoberfest.  The WK was much lighter than the American variety whereas the DA was about the same (12-14 srm), but both were very “drinkable” and well balanced as many of you pointed out.

Moving forward, I think I’m going to abandoned my efforts to clone the Sam Adams Oktoberfest and, instead, work on perfecting a Märzen.  I believe it’s a much more enjoyable beer and being it’s Sunday in September, I can enjoy several while watching the Bears as opposed to just one or two of the SA variety!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2019, 07:19:09 am »
11% C-60

There is no way this beer has 11% C 60. Come by today I have some we can each have a glass and laugh at that recipe!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2019, 07:20:13 am »
11% C-60

I just saw it in the store and passed based on this conversation. Sierra Nevada is actually one of the few breweries I trust to do beers right. But, I prefer a festbier over and Oktoberfest.

It's a good beer that's a bummer. You come by too I have enough for the three of us! lol

Offline Robert

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2019, 08:11:10 am »
11% C-60

There is no way this beer has 11% C 60. Come by today I have some we can each have a glass and laugh at that recipe!
That recipe was posted by SierraTerrence on Beer Advocate.  Seems believable to me, TIFWIW.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2019, 08:55:15 am »
11% C-60

That recipe was posted by SierraTerrence on Beer Advocate.  Seems believable to me, TIFWIW.

Some of us know Terence, and I trust him on this. The Bitburger yeast must be a high attenuator.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!