Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to run temperature probe?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
Where to run temperature probe?
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:00:42 am »
I have a Johnson controller that I use to control a Fermwrap when my basement is cold in the winter. This summer has been so hot, I’m thinking of using it to control the fridge.

I understand you just “run the probe inside and plug the fridge into the controller.”

One question…

When they say, “run the probe inside” do I stick it between the door gasket and frame, or do I drill a hole through the thing?
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Where to run temperature probe?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 06:26:07 am »
If you've been using it for heating, you will have to switch it internally to cooling mode, otherwise it will never turn on!  ;)
Just brew it...

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:33:45 am »
If you've been using it for heating, you will have to switch it internally to cooling mode, otherwise it will never turn on!  ;)

:D

Yeah. There’s a little little shorting jumper inside. It was actually set for cooling when I got it, so I know how to do that. 8)

I’m actually worried that if I run the probe through the door it will mess up the gasket and the fridge won’t be efficient, but if I drill a hole through the fridge I’ll hit a cooling pipe and totally ruin it.

Advice please?  ???
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:52:10 am »
I just run it between the door and the gasket and my freezer seems efficient enough.  It's definitely not running constantly.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:38:27 am »
I just run it between the door and the gasket and my freezer seems efficient enough.  It's definitely not running constantly.

Agree . .between the gasket
Just brew it...

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:31:03 am »
Thanks guys. That will make things easier. 8)

Offline rep

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »
I just run the wire between the gasket and the door and find no issues.

I do though tape the probe to the side of my carboys and cover that with insulation so the temp controller is getting the stats directly from the fermentor.

ie, if your are using the frig as a fermentor rather than as a kegerator.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel