Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Picobrew Z1 Bad Day  (Read 4605 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Picobrew Z1 Bad Day
« on: September 29, 2019, 08:36:21 am »
Dry grain in the step filter this morning after mash and boil. Not too pleased. 1030 SG when expecting 1050.  I am going to try a 1070 batch and mix the two. Fingers crossed.

Offline BrewBama

Picobrew Z1 Bad Day
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 01:22:09 pm »
That sux. Any ideas why this happened so it doesn’t happen again?

Edit: I read that you might consider programming a stop point to remove the step filter and stir the grain after mash-in to eliminate dry pockets and low efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:30:51 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

Re: Picobrew Z1 Bad Day
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 08:17:24 pm »
That sux. Any ideas why this happened so it doesn’t happen again?

Edit: I read that you might consider programming a stop point to remove the step filter and stir the grain after mash-in to eliminate dry pockets and low efficiency.

I don’t know what the problem is. The Picobrew is unable to recirculate water/wort right now.  Something is plugged up or it isn’t getting suction. I am not sure.

I will have to contact Picobrew for help.

Offline BrewBama

Picobrew Z1 Bad Day
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 10:01:30 pm »
It’ll be something simple.

Any updates?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:14:54 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 12:47:34 pm »

Any updates?

Still dead. Picobrew wants a video of the machine running so they can evaluate. I haven’t had a chance to upload a video. Traveling too much right now.

I believe a pump or line is clogged.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 08:16:03 am »

Any updates?

Still dead. Picobrew wants a video of the machine running so they can evaluate. I haven’t had a chance to upload a video. Traveling too much right now.

I believe a pump or line is clogged.
I believe I finally found the problem. The red rubber gasket in this picture has somehow gone missing. I thought it was missing but there is no mention of it in the Z manual. I had asked PicoBrew support about it but they just kept going down their checklist and didn’t answer. Finally, I asked on a forum and got an answer the day before PicoBrew support got there on the check list and sent me this picture.

PicoBrew puts spares for many small pieces in the Z1 box, but, not this one. I am waiting until Tuesday to hear back from PicoBrew about the size of the gasket or whether I can buy a spare. For now, I have crafted a stand-in from some tubing.

With my work around the PicoBrew Z1 works properly again. Without the gasket there is a not a good seal and the in take pump could not pull liquid.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 08:56:21 am »
Yep. Something simple. You can buy a hundred of those and never need another one. But don’t have a spare of something else simple and that’s what you’ll need. At least that’s the way it works around here.

Glad you got it up and running.

How did the Peaty Wheatstraw turn out?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 10:09:30 am »
I think I have some spare filter o rings around.  PM me if you need one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:16:53 am »
Yep. Something simple. You can buy a hundred of those and never need another one. But don’t have a spare of something else simple and that’s what you’ll need. At least that’s the way it works around here.

Glad you got it up and running.

How did the Peaty Wheatstraw turn out?

Peaty Wheatstraw is pretty good. It debuts tonight at a club competition. 95% Wheat malt, 5% C60 and a bunch Mosaic and Crystal. I brewed it as an APA with 1050 OG. The hops and beer flavors are great. The beer comes off just a little thin. But, overall I am surprised the lack of barley base malt is not very noticeable (except maybe the thinness?).

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 06:18:15 am »
Thanks for the offer. I’ll wait on Picobrew first. I think/guess they will offer to send some free. The person I am working with is off today. I think I will here tomorrow.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 07:59:03 am »
Thanks for the offer. I’ll wait on Picobrew first. I think/guess they will offer to send some free. The person I am working with is off today. I think I will here tomorrow.

Are you talking to Kevin?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 09:26:02 am »

No I have been working with Tim. He is doing well. I am guessing they have grown and there is more than one technical support now.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 09:50:52 am »

No I have been working with Tim. He is doing well. I am guessing they have grown and there is more than one technical support now.

Yeah, but Kevin's the best.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 10:13:27 am »

Yeah, but Kevin's the best.
Kevin helped me once before. He is good.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 10:50:51 am »
Follow up: I received a replacement for my lost gasket. I brewed this weekend. All is well.

Picobrew sent me two new gaskets and an extra drain tube grommet. One of mine was damaged. I still think a mouse took a bite out of piece.

I think my learning curve on the Z1 has taught me air and liquid tight seals are key to Z1 success.