Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cutting back bull vines  (Read 2531 times)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Cutting back bull vines
« on: April 01, 2020, 10:58:23 am »
As my guys are starting to pop out of the ground, I was wondering who cuts back the first vines and at what height are they if you cut them back.

Thanks
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Cutting back bull vines
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:16:30 am »
I cut back the initial shoots whenever I get around to it.  The shoots are edible ... if you want to eat them, I imagine you would want to do that early.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:35:12 am »
I did formatted years, then found out that it really didn't make a worthwhile difference. I feel like this is o ne of those things where home practices diverge from commercial practices .
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:55:19 am »
I am planning on it this year because a lot of the early leaves seem to be most susceptible to fungus in late April/early May in our hot and humid climate.  The local extension program at UMD had a test farm and they basically mowed over them in the first week of May.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 05:51:03 pm »
I remember seeing a video of a mega hop grower last year on FB in which they use a burner system to torch the early growth. I'm guessing that it actually makes a difference since a bunch of commercial hop growers do cut back the early growth. I cut my hops down at the end of April.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 08:45:41 am »
I remember seeing a video of a mega hop grower last year on FB in which they use a burner system to torch the early growth. I'm guessing that it actually makes a difference since a bunch of commercial hop growers do cut back the early growth. I cut my hops down at the end of April.

What I found was that while I makes a difference for commercial growers, for home growers it doesn't make enough difference to be worth it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 12:34:49 pm »
MSU Extension has some nice articles on it:

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/training_hops
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/training_hops_part_2

Bull shoots are normally more hollow and brittle.

Basically, when to train and trim depends on your growing environment. Early shoots tend to be more suspectible to disease. If you do it right, you get your optimum output. Too early is better than too late.

I have Columbus planted. Last frost free day is 4/24 for central IL and Yakima, and we have similar growing degree days (days above a certain temp). I'll probably prune 5/1, and try and train around memorial day. If you have a few plants, try trimming some and skip the rest. If you see a difference, you'll have an idea of what to do next year.

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 05:36:04 pm »
All I do is let everything grow until some are probably 18-24 inches, then cut all but the 3-5 most vigorous vines. Not sure if this is considered correct but I get a nice harvest and virtually disease free.some Japanese Beatle damage but that comes too late to matter.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 07:18:37 am »
The nodes on the first shoots are further apart. Their purpose is to spread the plant out. The flowers grow from offshoots at the nodes. The nodes on subsequent shoots are closer together therefore producing more flowers.

The first shoots are hollow and therefore weaker. They can bust decreasing opportunity for the plant to produce flowers. The subsequent shoots are not hollow and therefore stronger.

Certain diseases ride the winter out on the root buds that produce the shoots. If you cut the first shoots back you can help reduce those diseases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 07:54:26 am »
I too cut mine back one time usually when they are about a foot tall.  Does it really make a whole lot of difference in the homebrewing world, I don't know.  I just do know that the subsequent shoots that come up seem to stronger and have fatter bine stalks than the earlier ones and I always get a lot of flowers on my Cascade.

My Nugget produced like gangbusters for the first five years or so but are now starting to peter out.  I was going to dig it out this year, but had a few more flowers last year, so they get one more year to prove me wrong.  If I get more flowers this year, maybe I can again make my wet hopped Nugget IPA.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 01:46:20 pm »
By the end of April, my bines will be 3 or 4 long. As illustrated by the commercial practice of scorching off the early shoots, you should be able to just go in with a weedwhacker and buzz everything down in a second. I don't think its much trouble.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 05:28:24 pm »
I've seen a few papers saying viruses will be concentrated on the first growth. That is why commercial growers burn those off.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!