Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finishing wih brett  (Read 910 times)

Offline Yeast73

• 1st Kit
Finishing wih brett
« on: September 30, 2019, 02:33:38 am »
Soo..

my goal is to bottle this beer no gegs. I have my finished Belgian dark ale in secondary with berries and i`m soon planing to take the berries off and put WLP 653 in..

First i planned to bottle it somewhere on the road when gravity goes down and and let the brett handle the priming in bottles, but now, when looked many discussion about this, is it more safer to let it finish in secondary and use priming sugar before the bottling ?
Any guess how long it takes to reach the fg at room temperatures?

Finnie

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Finishing wih brett
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:50:30 pm »
It is safer to let brett work down the fermentable content before bottling but plenty bottle with brett--usually using thicker bottles. Either way there is no reason to add priming sugar at any point prior to bottling because it will be consumed before the beer gets into bottles for carbonation. If you want to add at bottling you need to know the gravity after fermentation but before adding the berries to get a sense of how much sugar content might still be available for brett to know how much priming sugar you need and can safely add. Brett usually gets beers down to 1.004-1.000.

Far easier to add brett and let it do its work in bulk before packaging. You will probably need to wait two to three months for brett to reach close to a terminal point that would be safe to bottle as normal.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing