Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Comet hops  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Comet hops
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 11:44:05 am »
Onion and garlic is from harvesting too late. Tell your friend that. There are more than a few references online that support that. Comet is a nice variety otherwise.

I like onion and garlic. Not in my beer, though!
There were similar issues with summit when it first came out.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 12:27:42 pm »
Onion and garlic is from harvesting too late. Tell your friend that. There are more than a few references online that support that. Comet is a nice variety otherwise.

I like onion and garlic. Not in my beer, though!
There were similar issues with summit when it first came out.

Again, related to harvest time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 02:28:31 pm »
Yep.  I had it in some, I think last year, don't recall the variety.  But it was one I never had it in before and I recall they were a tad browner than you'd expect, also indicating late harvest.  I had bought a whole pound and was bummed.   (No, of course they were not from Ted, I should know to just buy from him!)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 08:05:25 pm »
And I found out what a strobile is.   It's the whole thing.  "[A] reproductive structure characterized by overlapping scalelike parts, as a pine cone or the fruit of the hop," says Dictionary.com;  "a spike with persistent overlapping bracts that resembles a cone and is the pistillate inflorescence of the hop," Merriam Webster.  "Pistillate inflorescence," I like that.  Keeps them coming  back to the dictionary for more!

Yes. The hop cone is not a cone like a pine cone. Not a flower either.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 08:18:52 pm »
And I found out what a strobile is.   It's the whole thing.  "[A] reproductive structure characterized by overlapping scalelike parts, as a pine cone or the fruit of the hop," says Dictionary.com;  "a spike with persistent overlapping bracts that resembles a cone and is the pistillate inflorescence of the hop," Merriam Webster.  "Pistillate inflorescence," I like that.  Keeps them coming  back to the dictionary for more!

Yes. The hop cone is not a cone like a pine cone. Not a flower either.
Actually it is a cluster of 60 or so flowers in the proper sense, hidden under the bracts, if I'm not mistaken.  So it really has something in common with a strawberry,  which we also easily forget is really a cluster of flowers, emerging from a burr not unlike that of the hop, and resulting in a conical, compound fruit.  Plants can be weird.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.