Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American mild?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
American mild?
« on: September 30, 2019, 06:05:33 pm »
Hey Denny,
How's your quest for an American mild going?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American mild?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:48:34 am »
Hey Denny,

It's been a year since I brewed one but all I really have left to do is tweak the bitterness level a LITTLE bit.  Turns out it was all about finding the right ingredients....Mecca Grade malt, a hefty dose of organic C60, American Noble hops, and WY1450.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:53:41 am »
Hey Denny,

It's been a year since I brewed one but all I really have left to do is tweak the bitterness level a LITTLE bit.  Turns out it was all about finding the right ingredients....Mecca Grade malt, a hefty dose of organic C60, American Noble hops, and WY1450.
1450? Really?  Didn't see that coming. ;D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:50:02 am »
Hey Denny,

Mecca Grade base and specialty malts or is the C60 the only non base malt?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 10:55:49 am »
Hey Denny,

Mecca Grade Pamonta and Metolius....their versions of pale/pale ale and Munich. C60 is Briess....I've found their organic C60 is really nice.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 10:56:48 am »
Hey Denny,

1450? Really?  Didn't see that coming. ;D

Yeah, whoda think?  😁I use it for at least 75% of what I make, including cider.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 03:26:55 pm »
Hey Denny,

Denny, can you expound on why you use organic C60?

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 05:43:15 pm »
Hey Denny,

Mecca Grade Pamonta and Metolius....their versions of pale/pale ale and Munich. C60 is Briess....I've found their organic C60 is really nice.

Ever consider using Mecca Grade's Opal 44 in place of the C60? Supposed to give a toffee flavor or would that be out of place in the mild? More of a bitter recipe instead?

Ralph R.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 06:22:18 pm »
Hey Denny,

How much of each?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 08:15:17 am »
I have been exploring an American Mild. Often in English beers invert sugars are used. I was thinking that an American sub for English invert could be corn sugar. Karo makes a dark version that might work. I saw the guys at Basic Brewing used a cpl cups in a mild. Anyone here use Dark Karo?

I was thinking Willamette hops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 08:54:25 am »
I have been exploring an American Mild. Often in English beers invert sugars are used. I was thinking that an American sub for English invert could be corn sugar. Karo makes a dark version that might work. I saw the guys at Basic Brewing used a cpl cups in a mild. Anyone here use Dark Karo?

I was thinking Willamette hops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have avoided Karo due to the sodium and vanilla in it.  In my quest for an American mild, I found that I needed to get more body into the beer, not less, so for me using any type of sugar wouldn't be an option.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 09:12:53 am »
I have avoided Karo due to the sodium and vanilla in it.  In my quest for an American mild, I found that I needed to get more body into the beer, not less, so for me using any type of sugar wouldn't be an option.

I'd be interested to see your latest iteration if you are willing to share
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 09:43:14 am »

I'll have to dig it up later.  If I forget, remind me!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 10:07:29 am »

No biggie. I remember some posts on it but it's been a while. I could probably run a search to find more info...
I'll have to dig it up later.  If I forget, remind me!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 11:34:19 am »
I made one recently and it wasn’t entirely AMERICAN ingredients. It was the first time I used BRY 97. I think it turned out very nice for a 3.7 % ABV beer.
5 gallon batch
6 lbs Marris Otter
.5 lb Crystal 120
.25 lb Crystal 60
.25 lb Chocolate
.5 Oz Chinook @60
BRY 97
I might add some later hop additions next time I make this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm