Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American wheat....italian Brewer!  (Read 2396 times)

Offline danicomix

• Cellarman
American wheat....italian Brewer!
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:59:27 pm »
I..i'm an italian Brewer...what do you think about this recipe of American wheat...can you help me?

AMERICAN WHEAT
American Wheat Beer

4.9%
75% efficiency
Batch Volume: 23 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU (Tinseth): 24
Color: 6.5 EBC

MASH
Temperature — 52 °C — 10 min
Temperature — 66 °C — 60 min
Temperature — 78 °C — 10 min

MALTS
2.31 kg (47.4%) — BestMalz Pilsen Malt — Grain — 3.5 EBC
2.31 kg (47.4%) — BestMalz Wheat Malt — Grain — 4.8 EBC
Other (250 g)
250 g (5.1%) — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 EBC

HOPS
24 g (11 IBU) — Cascade 4.4% — Boil — 60 min
26 g (4 IBU) — Cascade 4.4% — Boil — 5 min
14 g (4 IBU) — Amarillo 8.2% — Boil — 5 min
26 g (2 IBU) — Cascade 4.4% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 85 °C
14 g (2 IBU) — Amarillo 8.2% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 85 °C
22 g — Cascade 4.4% — Dry Hop — 3 days
12 g — Amarillo 8.2% — Dry Hop — 3 days

YEAST
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1010 American Wheat Ale

FERMENTATION
Primary — 17 °C — 3 days
Primary — 18 °C — 1 days
Primary — 19 °C — 1 days

Thanks
Daniele

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: American wheat....italian Brewer!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 05:00:32 am »
American wheat beers are not aggressively hopped.  One bittering addition at beginning of boil is most appropriate.  Also most do not step mash.  One single infusion at 66 C is adequate.  Malt bill looks good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 05:47:39 am »

American wheat beers are not aggressively hopped. 

There seems to be an emerging sub-style that is distinctly hoppy.  An example I've had is Great Lakes Brewing's spring seasonal, Cloud Cutter. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 05:50:43 am »

American wheat beers are not aggressively hopped. 

There seems to be an emerging sub-style that is distinctly hoppy.  An example I've had is Great Lakes Brewing's spring seasonal, Cloud Cutter.

Of course there is.  We're American.  Right.  I get it.  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline danicomix

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 07:26:51 am »
American wheat beers are not aggressively hopped.  One bittering addition at beginning of boil is most appropriate.  Also most do not step mash.  One single infusion at 66 C is adequate.  Malt bill looks good.

...but a 60 there Is cascade!!! Do you mean that i've to erase hop at 15 - hopstand - dry hop and i've to left only 60 Min? Sorry for my bad english!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 07:59:56 am »

...but a 60 there Is cascade!!! Do you mean that i've to erase hop at 15 - hopstand - dry hop and i've to left only 60 Min? Sorry for my bad english!
I kind of like your original recipe.  A lot of newer American Wheat beers are showcasing hops like Amarillo.  Three Floyds has one called Gumballhead.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 08:30:00 am »
Don’t worry about your English. 10 times better than our Italian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:26 am »

American Wheat are generally sweeter (in my brewery, at least) so you need a solid bittering addition at 60 min.  I don't expect much in the way of hop aroma in an American Wheat though.  Definitely no dry hopping.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline danicomix

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 11:35:29 am »
What about sweetly? I've to reduce the ibu? I'm thinking that an rbr=0,5 was well balanced....so i've to reduce ibu? What about 15 Min and hop stand? It's ok if I use 17/18 ibu at 60 and 3/4 ibu at hopstand or it's Better at 15 min?

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 11:52:24 am »

American Wheat are generally sweeter (in my brewery, at least) so you need a solid bittering addition at 60 min.  I don't expect much in the way of hop aroma in an American Wheat though.  Definitely no dry hopping.

Paul

Again, this depends on which style of American wheat beer Daniele is aiming for.  The older ones, like Widmer and Goose Island, were basically like a Bavarian Hefeweizen but fermented with a neutral ale yeast instead of the phenolic and estery Bavarian yeast.  Beers like this go back to the 19th century in America but are becoming less common.  The newer, increasingly fashionable, version, like Gumballhead and Cloud Cutter, is quite hop forward, almost like an IPA but not so bitter, and without the level of haze, mouthfeel, and extreme late hop character of NEIPA.  The original recipe posted looks like it could fit this category as it stands.  I haven't looked at any competition guidelines to see how the Style Police are handling this divergence.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 01:44:55 pm »
In the end, do whatever you like.  It's your beer.  You are the one who will drink it.  Brew the beer the way you think you will enjoy it most, regardless of style guidelines.  Americans do whatever we want.  We love our hops.  If an Italian loves hops, then of course he too should go ahead and add hops whereever he wants.
Dave

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:44 pm »

In the end, do whatever you like.  It's your beer. 

Exactly.  Which is why I have no idea what the Style Police are up to.  But it's not immediately  clear what is meant by "American wheat ale" anymore when asked for a recipe.  It would be easier to advise Daniele, or anyone asking for recipe advice, if they just gave a quick idea of the overall impression they want their beer to give.  No matter what style it may or may not fit.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline danicomix

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:21:32 pm »
thanks to all!
I thinked that american wheat beer was common and was a definite style in America becouse in Italy we have only a few example of brewery that produces this type of beer…..but, if i've understando, I've read that this style is changing from a classic style to a more hopped style… it's correct?
So..I think i will brew my original recipe hopped oriented!
thanks to all people!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 10:57:26 pm »
I also think the original recipe was good without changing the hopping rate. Most of the newer American wheats I've had in the past five or so years tend to be hopped closer to an American pale ale.

However, if you wanted to brew more along a classic American wheat you probably want to follow the advice here to cut down the hops. Most of the classic renditions are more or less progeny of the American hefeweizen which is basically an American pale ale with wheat and very little in the way of hops. There is a lot of room and plenty of beers in between.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 07:12:37 pm »
This reminds me of a beer I brewed with my brother-in-law a handful of years ago.  We wanted to try brewing a wheat beer, but with a different take than what was normally seen.  We decided on trying to brew a honey wheat beer.  Basically a cross between an American wheat and a honey brown.  We had the recipe pretty much put together and then he mentioned he wanted to dry hop with Citra.  I told him it was a honey wheat beer, we're not dry hopping it.  He was adamant, and I told him he was crazy.  At the end of the day we split the batch in two and dry hopped half of it.

I never would have believed it, but the dry hopped version was quite good.  In fact, of everyone that had a chance to try them both, probably 90% of people preferred the dry hopped version.  It was definitely a beer that would never have won in a style contest, but for good flavor and drinkability it was right up there.