Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Roots Brewing Co. - New West (N/A)  (Read 1257 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Two Roots Brewing Co. - New West (N/A)
« on: October 29, 2019, 02:22:15 pm »

I picked this up without knowing anything about it other than it was pretty expensive.

Most of the N/A IPAs I have tried tasted pretty watery, but this one is really good.  It actually tastes less watery than some real "session IPAs" I've had.

It leans more towards the NEIPA style, as have they all.  Maybe a West Coast style IPA would just be too bitter without alcohol?  I don't know.  This has more calories than most N/A beer and 4 grams of sugar (compared to the usual 0 grams), but it's worth it.

It's got an impressive hop aroma and a great, citrus, "juicy" flavor to it.  Do they still make Five Alive?  That's what it reminds me of.  Definitely the best N/A IPA I have come across to date.  If you like Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing, I think you would enjoy the flavor of this one. 

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Two Roots Brewing Co. - New West (N/A)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 02:32:33 pm »
There's a very good point you make that's easy to forget:  though we think of it as neutral,  alcohol provides both sweetness and  body/mouthfeel.  Definitely would present a challenge in making a balanced N/A version of a style with any strong flavor elements needing a sweet or full counterbalancing element.  Maybe why the bulk have thus far been mild lagers and blondes, but NEIPA isn't the only style I can think of that substitutes its own sources of body and sweetness.  How about stouts and porters as a base for N/A, pastry or otherwise?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 03:30:09 pm »
I just don't understand why anyone would want a N/A beer... its like asking for dry water...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 03:57:15 pm »
I can think of a lot of reasons why alcohol wouldn't be for everyone. 

And a lot of reasons why alcohol, at times, shouldn't be for anyone.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Two Roots Brewing Co. - New West (N/A)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:05:38 pm »
Here are ten reasons. I am sure there are many more:

https://steadydrinker.com/articles/benefits-of-alcohol-free-beer/

As I recall, most larger breweries in Germany brewed at least one NA beer. Most establishments offered at least one NA beer as well.

We aren’t talking ‘O’Drool’ here. Some of these look pretty good: https://steadydrinker.com/articles/best-alcohol-free-craft-beers/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:13:54 pm by BrewBama »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 05:40:43 pm »
I just don't understand why anyone would want a N/A beer... its like asking for dry water...

I felt the same way a few months ago.  Now, I really look forward to having a few in the evenings when all the chores are done.  It's been a huge help during my hiatus.

Some of these look pretty good: https://steadydrinker.com/articles/best-alcohol-free-craft-beers/

Man, I wish I could find some of those...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC