Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rauch malt for character in an APA/IPA.  (Read 1296 times)

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
Rauch malt for character in an APA/IPA.
« on: October 05, 2019, 07:14:05 pm »
My LHBS just received some rauch malt, and I'm wondering if subbing 10-15% to a plain APA/IPA (OG 1.057, 40 IBU, SRM 6) might add an interesting character.

Any of you guys tried that before?

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Rauch malt for character in an APA/IPA.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 08:03:25 pm »
Think about what smoke will go with the hop aromas.

Don't use too much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 08:35:12 pm »
Think about what smoke will go with the hop aromas.

Don't use too much.

I'm not looking for a whole lot of hop aroma/flavor.

In 2016 I ran a series of brews using honey malt, special B, melanoidin, and every other specialty malt on the planet. I was fond of melanoidin and special B, but didn't care much for biscuit malt. I found that 10% was about right for most of them, so that's what I'm thinking.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 09:12:01 am »
IIRC, Fal Allen talked about a smoked IPA in his book.  I think he said it wasn't successful, but I could be wrong.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 09:14:36 am »
   Go easy on the rauch malt, a little bit goes a very long way. I did a red ale with less than 10% cherry smoked malt a while back that I almost dumped cuz at one point it tasted like it was autolytic, it eventually cleaned up and became a pretty good beer, but it was still too smoky.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 11:31:38 am »
I really can't think of any hops that would go well with smoke flavor. I make a smoked stout that's pretty popular here, but it hasn't got any hop flavor or aroma to speak of. Pales and IPAs are about the last styles I'd consider using any smoked malt in.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Rauch malt for character in an APA/IPA.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 12:14:10 pm »
I’ve read this article many times but haven’t had the guts to try it.  Josh says to use 10 lb cherry smoked malt:

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-rauchbier

...and another which acknowledges over doing it:

https://beerandbrewing.com/succumb-to-smoke-the-art-of-brewing-a-balanced-rauchbier/

...and there’s Weyermann’s Rauchbier Extract where they say they use Smoked Malt (98%) and CARAFA SPECIAL Type I (2%). Just add water, boil with hops, ferment and *poof* = Rauchbier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:51:17 am by BrewBama »

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 07:42:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to cancel that project (or maybe just put it on the back burner).

It's not like I don't have enough brews queued up that I have to scratch for something. I have a 40% rye pale ale in the fermentor and a Bell's 2HA clone (with genuine Bell's house yeast) scheduled for 10/13.

Charlie

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 08:46:49 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to cancel that project (or maybe just put it on the back burner).

It's not like I don't have enough brews queued up that I have to scratch for something. I have a 40% rye pale ale in the fermentor and a Bell's 2HA clone (with genuine Bell's house yeast) scheduled for 10/13.

Charlie

Did you happen to get some of the Centennial from the Bell's store?  I've heard they have their own criteria for selecting what can be a highly variable hop.  (I'm not much of a AIPA guy, but 2HA is undeniably a classic.)  (Oh, and I'm definitely not a smokey guy.  Keep that one on the back burner! )
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 06:28:41 am »

Charlie

You are on the right track for a 2HA Clone. If you have their select Centennial hops and their yeast, you will like your beer, I like mine.

Bell's dry hops in the fermenter with the yeast active. I've been doing the same, and I get that floral aroma note I get from fresh 2HA on draft.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 07:17:52 pm »
Did you happen to get some of the Centennial from the Bell's store?  I've heard they have their own criteria for selecting what can be a highly variable hop.  (I'm not much of a AIPA guy, but 2HA is undeniably a classic.)  (Oh, and I'm definitely not a smokey guy.  Keep that one on the back burner! )

No. It's the standard Centennial from Yakima Valley, but the clone is still outstanding (or so I am told). I have received rave reviews from everyone who has tried it!

End of boil volume: 10.25 gal.
IBU: 76.2
SRM: 6.5
ABV: 6.5

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US     71.9 %
5 lbs Briess Pale Ale Malt    24.0 %
10.0 oz Caramel - 40L      3.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel 60L      1.2 %
68.04 g Centennial - Boil 45.0 min   41.5 IBUs
68.04 g Centennial - Boil 30.0 min   34.7 IBUs
198.45g Centennial - Dry Hop 7.0 Days    0.0 IBUs

Charlie

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 11:42:41 am »
That's what I use. Should have said Bell's Select hops and the house yeast (Imperial) that you can get at Bell's makes such a great clone. Chico is ok, but not the same.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild