Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Altbier recipe  (Read 4770 times)

Offline adamjoyce

• 1st Kit
Re: Altbier recipe
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 06:37:07 am »
Here's the last one I did. I took the recipe Denny posted from the Uerige brewer (which was given in amounts, not %) and scaled it for % in software. Makes a pretty nice beer. Simple and good.

OG 1.050
IBU 49.7

96.1% Pils
2.4% Caramunich
1.5% Carafa III

19.9 IBU HM - 60 min
15.1 IBU Perle - 60 min
14.7 IU Spalt - 20 min

WY1007 -  hold @ 60F for 3 days, slowly ramp to 68F

Mash 150/ 75 mins

Amber Bitter water profile/ 5.4 mash pH

That looks good. 50IBU slightly on the high side for me but I like the simplicity of it.

I agree that I like how simple the recipe is. I am putting it in beersmith now but taking the IBU down a notch. Did you end up making this? (granted this is an older post). All Dusseldorf recipes I find are full of a crap load of malts. Seems kind of odd. I got one from a head brewer last year that was just 2 malts. Pils and then Carafa III.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Altbier recipe
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 09:54:29 am »
Here's the last one I did. I took the recipe Denny posted from the Uerige brewer (which was given in amounts, not %) and scaled it for % in software. Makes a pretty nice beer. Simple and good.

OG 1.050
IBU 49.7

96.1% Pils
2.4% Caramunich
1.5% Carafa III

19.9 IBU HM - 60 min
15.1 IBU Perle - 60 min
14.7 IU Spalt - 20 min

WY1007 -  hold @ 60F for 3 days, slowly ramp to 68F

Mash 150/ 75 mins

Amber Bitter water profile/ 5.4 mash pH

That looks good. 50IBU slightly on the high side for me but I like the simplicity of it.

I agree that I like how simple the recipe is. I am putting it in beersmith now but taking the IBU down a notch. Did you end up making this? (granted this is an older post). All Dusseldorf recipes I find are full of a crap load of malts. Seems kind of odd. I got one from a head brewer last year that was just 2 malts. Pils and then Carafa III.

That looks like the Zum Übrige recipe that was published by the brewer. I have some Alt yeast, need to brew that. When I was last at Zum Übrige, I estimated it to be 50 or even 55ish IBU. Bitter for sure.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!