Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Heaven Sale  (Read 1454 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hop Heaven Sale
« on: October 07, 2019, 01:38:34 pm »
FYI Hop Heaven is having their annual closeout and presale. Prices are good and hops are even better.

Let me know if you need the order form.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Hop Heaven Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 10:04:17 am »
Just got Teds email, looks like he's ready to start shipping the 2023 hops

Offline BrewBama

Hop Heaven Sale
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 06:22:29 am »
This comment is concerning: “As a general note, we experienced general erosion of choice again over the past year.  While my list may look impressive, many are down to 1 farm and it makes no sense for them to grow the hops.  Volumes are thin, all it takes is one midsized brewer and the entire crop is out of your grasp.”

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 06:14:06 am »
This comment is concerning: “As a general note, we experienced general erosion of choice again over the past year.  While my list may look impressive, many are down to 1 farm and it makes no sense for them to grow the hops.  Volumes are thin, all it takes is one midsized brewer and the entire crop is out of your grasp.”
Yeah, especially once you look at his hop list and see what varieties have no availability this year. I can't help but wonder is this is a result of the alcoholic beverage market shifting towards things like seltzers and cocktails recently. At least in my area, the craft beer scene is largely smaller local breweries, and they certainly wouldn't have the kind of pull to sway the hop market.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 08:15:03 am »
Yeah, especially once you look at his hop list and see what varieties have no availability this year. I can't help but wonder is this is a result of the alcoholic beverage market shifting towards things like seltzers and cocktails recently. At least in my area, the craft beer scene is largely smaller local breweries, and they certainly wouldn't have the kind of pull to sway the hop market.
The way I interpret that is the hop farms are probably pulling less popular varietals and replacing them with more profitable ones.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 09:58:32 am »
The way I interpret that is the hop farms are probably pulling less popular varietals and replacing them with more profitable ones.

Just the way they've always done. And more than ever, economic factors like harvest window and growth viability, are playing into that. Take a listen to the Hop & Brew School wrap up we did on the podcast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 10:38:45 am »
yes it is. I see that he doesnt have Cluster available. I know its fallen out of vogue, but its such a classic hop, I would think it was safe.

Offline smsnyus

• 1st Kit
  • NY Grown Hops
    • Hop of The Month - Centennial Hops
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 08:33:37 am »
I'm out in NY and yes we do grow hops in NY as well (Up State NY).  We have seen a big shift from craft brew drinkers going to seltzers and cocktails, no doubt about it.  The hops business is very tough and if your not growing a trademarked hop it's hard to make it.  Also labor is one of the big reasons they have been going out of business in NY.
Steve Schmidt - Grower & Processor of Hops
Schmidt Hop Farm - www.schmidthops.com
NY Grown Hops - www.upstatehops.net

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 03:33:34 pm »
Absolute shame we're losing our native hop growers as fads, etc change.