Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Couple of hop questions  (Read 334 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Couple of hop questions
« on: December 28, 2023, 11:29:31 am »
As some of you may remember, I got a really cool supply of different hops from a brewer who was slowing down his brewing and wanted to get rid of some stuff.  So, I had about 7oz's of Columbus pellets I had my wife put in a vacuum seal bag.  I am going to use the probably in the next week or two, so I took them out of the freezer to make sure I have enough as I am making a Morebeer run for some stuff I forgot to order.  The bag was still frozen, but the seal might have been broken as they pellets were able to be moved around.  Since they were in the freezer, them being open can I still use them?  I don't mind either way as I am going to get other stuff too.

Also, they are labeled as Columbus, but my recipe calls for CTZ.  I have done a bit of reading and they appear to be the same.  Am I right there?  Any input is welcomed.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Couple of hop questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 11:40:26 am »
As some of you may remember, I got a really cool supply of different hops from a brewer who was slowing down his brewing and wanted to get rid of some stuff.  So, I had about 7oz's of Columbus pellets I had my wife put in a vacuum seal bag.  I am going to use the probably in the next week or two, so I took them out of the freezer to make sure I have enough as I am making a Morebeer run for some stuff I forgot to order.  The bag was still frozen, but the seal might have been broken as they pellets were able to be moved around.  Since they were in the freezer, them being open can I still use them?  I don't mind either way as I am going to get other stuff too.

Also, they are labeled as Columbus, but my recipe calls for CTZ.  I have done a bit of reading and they appear to be the same.  Am I right there?  Any input is welcomed.

They should still be OK.  Columbus and CTZ are basically the same. Name got changed to CTZ due to copyright issues.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 07:53:00 am »
I have had hops frozen in vacuum bags for well over a year or two with no issues.

Regarding the vacuum bag loosing vacuum, we also had the same problem every once in a while. So we started double sealing each bag and that corrected the leaking.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline smsnyus

• 1st Kit
  • NY Grown Hops
    • Hop of The Month - Centennial Hops
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 08:24:41 am »
We process hops and usually if they are nitrogen flushed and vacuum sealed they will last around 3 years.  The oxygen is what makes the hops go bad but it takes time.  I would say you should be fine with a small bag.  If it was a larger 11# bag then that would be different.  CTZ is for Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus which is the same hop with 3 different names.
Steve Schmidt - Grower & Processor of Hops
Schmidt Hop Farm - www.schmidthops.com
NY Grown Hops - www.upstatehops.net

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 01:01:28 pm »
I wouldn't be afraid to use them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 01:22:26 pm »
Just gave them a whiff, smells really good, so all is well  The rest are going into vacuum seal bags and back into the freezer.