Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP Question  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Buddylee000

• 1st Kit
BJCP Question
« on: October 08, 2019, 11:08:49 am »
Our home brew club had a brew competition where we drew ingredients to make a beer. My recipe includes:

8lb pale malt
4lb rye malt
1lb vienna
8oz special roast
4oz caraaroma
added toasted coconut to the secondary.

If I wanted to enter this beer in a competition which category would this fall under? My thought is the Rye IPA but with the addition of coconut does this change the category it should be entered in?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: BJCP Question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:11:08 pm »
Yes, adding coconut takes it out of the straight category.  And I'd think carefully about a Rye IPA  with coconut.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 12:31:31 pm »
If the cocount is noticeable, the beer would end up in the spice, herb, vegetable category.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:16:50 pm »
If the cocount is noticeable, the beer would end up in the spice, herb, vegetable category.

And if it's not noticeable, what's the point? ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell