General Category > All Grain Brewing

Round Igloo or rectangular cooler for mash tun

(1/9) > >>

joemero:
I'm a semi-newbie, which has done some extract only batches about 10 years ago.  My interest in homebrewing was rekindled after seeing that my new neighbor is an all grain home brewer.  He uses a rectangular cooler for his mash tun, but I've also seen in numerous videos and magazines where some use the round orange rubbermaid or igloo type coolers.  Is there an advantage to using one over the other?  Which would you recommend?

bonjour:
The advantage is only when fly or continuous sparging, then the round is better because it is a more uniform shape.  For batch sparging neither has an advantage.

MDixon:
While round would seem to be the best shape, in practice I can take a drilled crappy coil crammed into a stopper and shove into the backside of a valve on a rectangular cooler and get 85%+ efficiency each and every time. I believe the problems with the round are size limitations, costs, and most people end up with some channeling whether they realize it or not.

Go with a rectangular, if the batch gravity and size is small, you can always use a bottling bucket with a coil to achieve an adequate grainbed depth if fly sparging.

denny:
I prefer rectangular for 2 main reasons...you get more volume for your money with a rectangular, and it's easier to use due to the larger opening.  

hokerer:

--- Quote from: denny on August 23, 2010, 07:31:16 AM ---I prefer rectangular for 2 main reasons...you get more volume for your money with a rectangular, and it's easier to use due to the larger opening.  

--- End quote ---

Also a lot of the rectangulars can be had with "drain channels" (the Coleman Xtremes, for example) which, for me at least, works out to practically zero deadspace in the tun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version