Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beersmith Final Gravity Calculation  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Carson B

• Cellarman
Beersmith Final Gravity Calculation
« on: October 18, 2019, 06:47:10 pm »
Does Beersmith use anything other than yeast attenuation to calculate estimated FG? I've seen some people say it uses mash temp, but I can change that all around and my estimated FG does not change.

I'm asking because I've made a barleywine, and the numbers are coming out wonky.

OG is 1.115. Estimated FG is 1.042 using US-05, which would only be 61% attenuation. That's well below US-05's attenuation range of 73-80 in Beersmith.

Recipe is simple. 95% Maris Otter and 5% crystal 60. Mashed at 148, and that value is entered into Beersmith.

Any answers to this or ideas why I'm getting such a high predicted FG?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beersmith Final Gravity Calculation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 07:31:25 pm »
Two possible reasons. Can't tell without more information. There is a global Options ->Advanced setting to select "Adjust FG for mash temperature". If that is not checked, then changing mash temperature will not affect FG. There is also an upper limit of 10% ABV somewhere that may be your problem with such a big beer. I forget where to change this, but it might be in the yeast profile. I recommend going to the BeerSmith forum for the answer. I am sure it is there somewhere.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Carson B

• Cellarman
Re: Beersmith Final Gravity Calculation
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 07:44:12 pm »
Thanks Richard. That was easy - it was the 10% alcohol limitation. Don't you love it when a problem is that simple??