Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I thought the deer were eating the spent grain  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: I thought the deer were eating the spent grain
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 07:16:21 am »
Yep. First one I’ve seen in a cpl yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This in the morning paper:

"Ohio hunters bagged 19,088 wild turkeys during the spring wild turkey hunting season this year — down 15% from the previous year, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife said."

Sounds like 15% of our turkeys have fled to N AL! 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 08:53:40 am »
I dunno. This AM I saw a coyote with something black in his mouth. It was prob an Ohio turkey. He was trotting across the yard so was a bit too quick for my photography skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 09:16:32 am »
I dunno. This AM I saw a coyote with something black in his mouth. It was prob an Ohio turkey. He was trotting across the yard so was a bit too quick for my photography skills.

Coyotes will definitely control the turkeys, we'll call that 19,089 Ohio turkeys for the season!  I've also noticed that turkeys disappear when foxes are around, and vice versa.   But I'm guessing the foxes aren't a real threat to the turkeys, but that they compete for the same food resources -- mice, toads, nuts and berries...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 08:08:23 pm »
   Foxes certainly can be a threat to young turkeys, I imagine though that a full grown turkey is something no sane fox wants to take on.
   Over 19,000 turkeys harvested last year in just Ohio? Sounds like the good 'ol days with Sage Chickens before they all disappeared, at least the Turkey population has recovered.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 08:28:18 pm »

Foxes certainly can be a threat to young turkeys, I imagine though that a full grown turkey is something no sane fox wants to take on.
   Over 19,000 turkeys harvested last year in just Ohio? Sounds like the good 'ol days with Sage Chickens before they all disappeared, at least the Turkey population has recovered.

That's just the spring season that recently closed.  We've got a fall one too.  The population is, um, very healthy.  They're becoming a nuisance in suburban areas. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 08:08:31 pm »

That's just the spring season that recently closed.  We've got a fall one too.  The population is, um, very healthy.  They're becoming a nuisance in suburban areas.
  ...along with cougars - only a matter of time before grizzlies are on that list too - at least in some parts of the lower 48.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 08:16:27 pm »

...along with cougars - only a matter of time before grizzlies are on that list too - at least in some parts of the lower 48.
Same day that report was in my morning paper, there was also a notice of the usual increasing seasonal black bear activity and advice on bearproofing.  So far we don't have the level of black bear nuisance they have on the east coast (matter of human population density I suppose,) and I presume grizzlies and cougars are a long way off.  Now I think of it, I'll cross my fingers on feral hogs...
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 09:18:14 pm »
Here in Chicago I’m dealing with rats and squirrels. Which are tree rats. We have coyotes and hawks in the neighborhood but they haven’t thinned the squirrels. No turkeys.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 07:31:05 am »
Here in Chicago I’m dealing with rats and squirrels. Which are tree rats. We have coyotes and hawks in the neighborhood but they haven’t thinned the squirrels. No turkeys.

Sitting out on the back porch by the pool drinking some coffee and a hawk just flew down and bagged a squirrel.
No coyotes thought. Thank God!

Ralph R.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:15 pm »
Morning coffee guest

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 01:24:41 pm »
I saw a Bobcat yesterday but I was too slow to get a photo.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 03:15:53 pm »
I saw a Bobcat yesterday but I was too slow to get a photo.

In Urbandale (a community outside Des Moines, IA) we have several pairs of Red Tail Hawks, Bald Eagles and several types of owl.  We also have Red Fox, a coyote or two and tons of squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, deer, raccoon and possum.  Who know what else is out there.

It's great to see the wildlife populations coming back.  Even if they can sometimes be a pain to deal with.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 04:03:14 pm »