Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starriest Night milk Stout (Weld Werks) clone help  (Read 998 times)

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
Starriest Night milk Stout (Weld Werks) clone help
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:16:21 pm »
I love WeldWerks starriest night but have 0 experience with milk stouts and none brewing with nuts. It’s an 11.5% imperial milk stout with hazelnuts, milk chocolate, and toasted coconut. I am an experienced all grain brewer and would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks! 🙏🏽 🍻 🌟 🍫 🥜 🥥

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Starriest Night milk Stout (Weld Werks) clone help
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 05:17:51 pm »
All the special ingredients will have to be shaved, ground or whatever to get the flavor out except perhaps the toasted coconut which is already shaved or flaked.  I am skeptical that milk chocolate is used.  That's all I got.  I hope that helps.

Offline Philip McCaugherty

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:34:44 am »
The hazelnuts will be an absolute bollocks unless you can get ones that have already been shelled. No pun intended but they are a tough nut to crack. You might be better off using a hazelnut extract but that can also be problematic (extract or essence? What quantity?). But shelling hundreds of grams of hazelnuts won't be fun, trust me!

Other than that, this won't be much different to other stouts you have brewed. You'll be adding lactose towards the end of the boil, I imagine.
Someone once told me that making my own beer was a great way to save money. What a load of shyte that was!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 08:42:46 am »
For Rogue's famous Hazelnut Brown, they use hazelnut extract.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 11:18:27 am »
As others mentioned I would go with hazelnut extract with at least a pound of lactose.

From my experience with their beers, there is not doubt in my mind that they are using some type of milk chocolate. I had a WW beer last night that was a milk stout with peanut flour and pureed bananas.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:29:45 am by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline MarcInDavis

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 09:33:36 am »
Thanks for the insight.  I hear from an insider that I should start with a typical milk stout with plenty of dehusked carafa and dark crystals as well as a large helping of lactose. The really critical part is to use large amounts of toasted coconut as well as hazelnut flour (ideally toasted hazelnuts) in the fermenter shortly after hitting terminal gravity and before crashing. Don't expect a very good yield on the beer since the coconut and nuts will absorb a lot of beer.  I'll have to look int using nut flour, and no mention of milk chocolate - or chocolate of any kind.

Cheers!