Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewer's Gloves?  (Read 14331 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brewer's Gloves?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:22 am »
do they get the pinhole leaks like a lot of gloves get from use in brewing (cleaning/sanitizing) chemicals?

I've only used them 3 batches so I can't really comment on how long they will last.  I clean them before brew and the spray with starsan before I touch the hop bag.  They handle heat pretty well. I can touch the hop bag out of boiling wort after flameout and not even feel it.  When you squeeze it gets a little warm but no where hot enough to burn you. 
-J.K.L.

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 02:30:06 pm »
I've only used them 3 batches so I can't really comment on how long they will last.  I clean them before brew and the spray with starsan before I touch the hop bag.  They handle heat pretty well. I can touch the hop bag out of boiling wort after flameout and not even feel it.  When you squeeze it gets a little warm but no where hot enough to burn you. 
-J.K.L.

I'll have to try them out

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 11:52:44 am »
I love my Blichmann gloves for cleaning and transferring cool beer and wort. I've only used them with PBW and Iodophor, but no issues with pinholes. I forget how many batches, but I got them last winter.

I still use big oven mitts for hot stuff, but I keep thinking about silicon BBQ gloves.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 08:53:06 pm »
I've been using some silcon hot mitts, but I was thinking of buying one of these:

Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 08:37:33 am »
I like the Blichman gloves because I can usually reach down to the bottom of a bucket full of cleaner without water getting on my arm.

They aren't heat resistant enough that I'd take something out of the oven with them on, but for disconnecting hoses and the occasional hot dribble that might hit your hand and scold - they are great.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 11:23:42 am »
One more benefit of the Blichmann gloves are that my hands fit easily into the large ones.  Every other XL rubber glove I've tried barely fits and I have to tug at them to remove.