Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is the next step after a 5 gallon setup?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What is the next step after a 5 gallon setup?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 08:51:15 am »

Pretty much the lesson of this thread.  It's not an upgrade if your new system has you spending time on aspects  of the process you don't find rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 03:23:45 pm »
I have a decent collection of basic tools, but I long ago learned that I prefer to have someone else do it.  I consider building brewing equipment a somewhat necessary evil .  I'd rather spend my limited time using something than building it.
I agree with Denny.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 05:05:23 pm »
I have many tools, for all sorts of jobs. Now few projects come up where I need a new tool. If it is something a friend has he can help me do it. Sometimes I hire a job out, to get it done in a timely manner. Old guy syndrome is becoming a thing at times, the back acts up, so I let some do a job. That stimulates the local economy.

When my house needs a new roof, not doing that!

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jakey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 06:15:43 pm »
Kegging. Lots of fridges, keezers, tap handles on all of those, CO2 tanks, regulators, and so on.

Nothing like a good pint at home, and saying I brewed this.

My Two Hearted Clone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Looks awesome. Kegging seems like a great move if you've got the space for a setup!

Offline jakey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 06:18:18 pm »
Thanks Denny! Just a basic stove top setup. I don't have a cooler. Very "un-pro".

Jake

There is no step up... there is no step down. And thinking you need to be "pro" is not way to think at all. I started on the kitchen stove with 5 gallon extract batches. My next system was a turkey fryer from Wallmart and a round coleman cooler for a mash tun. Then I bought a three vessel system made of used 15.5 gallon beer kegs and started making 10 gallon batches. Eventually I began using only one of those keggles as a BIAB MT/BK. Last year I sold that and bought a 3 vessel eHERMs set up with all the bells and whistles. So how did I brew my last two batches? On the kitchen stove doing 2.5 gallon BIAB using the same 5 gallon stock pot that I started with.

Each of those systems cost more than the one before and each added more technology, complexity and shiny stainless steel bits. But none of them inherently made better beer than the other. That is up to the brewer.

It is a natural tendency to see the fancy set ups others have and want that too. But the hobby is not a race. There is no winner and one brewers bigger, shinier kettle is not better than another. Become the best brewer you can be with the equipment you have now and if what goes into your glass makes you happy then you have arrived.

Thanks Kenny, no disagreement here!

Offline jakey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 06:24:16 pm »
So seems the moral of the story is that new tools are nice, new equipment is nice, but all of it is not necessary to make good beer. BIAB is next for me then kegging I think is the move at some point when I have space to do that!