Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where are you?  (Read 102941 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Where are you?
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2010, 05:33:58 pm »
Al, you and I must have been in Ames and Ia. City at about the same time.

Very likely, Denny.  We may have even passed each other on the street or even drinking beers from the same keg!  :o
Small world...
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2010, 09:48:10 am »
I managed to get back to IA for a visit a few years ago, for the first time in more than 25 years.  Amazing to me how much things have changed out there since my time there  in 1970!

You would be amazed at how much it has changed in just the last 2-3 years.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2010, 02:13:57 pm »
David!  Long time no type!  Good to see you here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2010, 03:02:57 pm »
Well, I had to remove my location from my profile and may soon have to abandon all of my forum accounts because of a new policy in our school district regarding internet representation/fraternization.  Yes, I know that it is not lawful but as a teacher, if I want to avoid a costly (for my professional reputation) legal battle, I will have to comply.  I would love to post my location again but let's just say that if you are ever around exit 107 on I-80 in Wyoming, look me up.  I may not post much but I learn a ton by lurking.

Thanks,
Sou
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »
And I am at exit 182 on I-25 in Wyoming.  I get down to your exit off i-80 once in a while.
I will have to stop and say howdy... ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2010, 12:57:01 pm »
I'm usually where I'm not supposed to be.

Offline novabrew

• Cellarman
  • Springfield, VA
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2010, 01:32:32 pm »
Testing to see if I can follow directions. :)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2010, 02:49:33 pm »
Testing to see if I can follow directions. :)

You get a gold star for "follows directions" :)
Joe

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2010, 01:25:46 am »
14 miles N.E. of Pu`u `O`o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2010, 01:55:31 am »
Hmmm . . . too far for Hilo, are you talking by road or by compass?  Keaau maybe?

We were on the Big Island in Feb. for the tsunami.  It was an memorable day, but not what we were hoping for on our vacation. :)  We did a loop around the island the next day, must have passed pretty close by your place.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2010, 08:27:45 am »
I added my town in the signature.  I actually live in Otis, just outside of Carlsbad.  If anybody ever visits the Carlsbad Caverns let me know, I'll invite you over for a beer.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2010, 02:05:54 pm »
Hmmm . . . too far for Hilo, are you talking by road or by compass?  Keaau maybe?

We were on the Big Island in Feb. for the tsunami.  It was an memorable day, but not what we were hoping for on our vacation. :)  We did a loop around the island the next day, must have passed pretty close by your place.

I live half way between Kea`au and Pahoa.  Highway 130 goes by here, but it has become a very long dead end since Kilauea covered the road with lava in Kalapana.  Only one way in and out now. If you went out to the lava ocean entry viewing area in Kalapana you passed by my neighborhood.

Yeah, tsunami Saturday was a weird one. Not our usual weekend fare!  I stayed home, worked in my hives and let it happen without me. My house is not in the tsunami evacuation area.   

No giant "harbor waves" here, but we did get some serious surging.  A local TV station set up a camera on the balcony of a bayfront hotel in Hilo.  It was pointed at Coconut Island.  We got to watch live video of the ocean surging in and out.  That was very cool.  All in all it was a good test of the Pacfic Tsunami Warning System and Hawaii County Civil Defense.  I felt for the people in Chile where the monster earthquake hit.  Nothing good ever happens when the earth moves that much.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »

I live half way between Kea`au and Pahoa.  Highway 130 goes by here, but it has become a very long dead end since Kilauea covered the road with lava in Kalapana.  Only one way in and out now. If you went out to the lava ocean entry viewing area in Kalapana you passed by my neighborhood.

Yeah, tsunami Saturday was a weird one. Not our usual weekend fare!  I stayed home, worked in my hives and let it happen without me. My house is not in the tsunami evacuation area.   

No giant "harbor waves" here, but we did get some serious surging.  A local TV station set up a camera on the balcony of a bayfront hotel in Hilo.  It was pointed at Coconut Island.  We got to watch live video of the ocean surging in and out.  That was very cool.  All in all it was a good test of the Pacfic Tsunami Warning System and Hawaii County Civil Defense.  I felt for the people in Chile where the monster earthquake hit.  Nothing good ever happens when the earth moves that much.

We didn't make it to the viewing area.  We really wanted to, but we were staying in Kailua (walking distance to Kona BC) and leaving the next day.  The original plan had been to do the loop and maybe stay in Hilo Satuday night, but that didn't happen because of the waves.  So we basically had to do the loop in one day and skipped some stuff we had planned.  Plus by the time we got to the turnoff to go to Kalapana there was a torrential downpour that made driving less fun.

We were in the evac zone, but apparently high enough (third floor) that we didn't have to evacuate.  We did, and spent most of the day camped on the side of the road with a lot of other refugees watching the surge come in and out at Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort.  You could see the alcove totally emptying and then filling up more than it had been previously.

Funny coincidence - we met one of the organizers for the Kona Brewers Festival, she as standing near us sharing some shade.  We had a nice talk about beer. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2010, 03:58:23 pm »
... we were staying in Kailua (walking distance to Kona BC) and leaving the next day...  

When staying in Kailua it is best to stay within staggering distance of Kona Brewing Co.  I'm glad you got there.  Goooood beer and food.  Castaway IPA!

... Plus by the time we got to the turnoff to go to Kalapana there was a torrential downpour that made driving less fun...

Ah yes, welcome to the windward side.  Love those tradewinds!  We get 180" of rain a year at my house.  No rain - no rain forest.  Up on the windward slope of Mauna Kea they get 260" rain per year.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 12:01:35 am »
... we were staying in Kailua (walking distance to Kona BC) and leaving the next day...  

When staying in Kailua it is best to stay within staggering distance of Kona Brewing Co.  I'm glad you got there.  Goooood beer and food.  Castaway IPA!
Great beer and food, it was awesome.  We went three times, once the first night we were there, another day for a tour, and then for a quick beer on our way to the airport.  We really wanted to hang out there for the tsunami since they seemed to be just out of the evacuation zone, but they closed so their staff could go home and evacuate their families.  Which I totally understand, but man it would have been nice to just sit there for several hours sampling beers and watching the waves on TV.

... Plus by the time we got to the turnoff to go to Kalapana there was a torrential downpour that made driving less fun...

Ah yes, welcome to the windward side.  Love those tradewinds!  We get 180" of rain a year at my house.  No rain - no rain forest.  Up on the windward slope of Mauna Kea they get 260" rain per year.
It was really an insane downpour to be driving in, we could barely see with the wipers full blast.  We have our rainforests too, but they average more like 150" per year and they're a few hours away, I don't live there :)  We would have stopped in Hilo and we even drove by Mehana Brewing but since it was Sunday it was closed.  Everything was closed.  Next time.

I'm not sure when next time will be for being back on the Big Island, but we're talking about burning some frequent flyer miles and going to Maui in April . . . I'm sure it will be awesome, there's breweries there.   ;D
Tom Schmidlin