Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refractometer Recommendations  (Read 2142 times)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
Refractometer Recommendations
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:18:54 am »
I need to replace a refractometer any recommendations? My current one is giving erratic measurements compared to my hydrometer. Don't want to get a cheap one. Considering the Milwaukee digital unit.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Refractometer Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 10:02:24 am »
I have this one and find it to be excellent. 

https://hannainst.com/hi96841-digital-refractometer-for-beer.html
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 03:14:33 pm »
Thanks! I'll look into it.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 04:48:10 am »

I used this same refractometer for several years. Works well.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 06:36:40 am »
My super cheap refractometer works well and matches a hydrometer within average 0.001.  Sure I have to calibrate it every time it's used but isn't that a good thing to do anyway?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 01:51:41 pm »
I use a cheap iTavah and, like Dave, consistently get readings that are within a point of my hydrometer. I check calibration every use and haven't had to calibrate it in several months. Think it cost me about $25, but they have gone down in price. Most of the reviews are 4+ stars with the exception of the occasional outlier where someone thinks a zero reading in distilled water means it's good to go.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 07:12:16 am »
Thanks everyone for the comments

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 07:17:34 am »
I use a cheap iTavah and, like Dave, consistently get readings that are within a point of my hydrometer. I check calibration every use and haven't had to calibrate it in several months. Think it cost me about $25, but they have gone down in price. Most of the reviews are 4+ stars with the exception of the occasional outlier where someone thinks a zero reading in distilled water means it's good to go.

OK, Bob you have aroused my curiosity.  I always have used R.O./distilled water to calibrate my RH3-32ATC refractometer.  My readings are always in good agreement with my hydrometer (after employing the brix-plato correction factor in BeerSmith).  What are you using to calibrate yours?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 07:32:12 am »

OK, Bob you have aroused my curiosity.  I always have used R.O./distilled water to calibrate my RH3-32ATC refractometer.  My readings are always in good agreement with my hydrometer (after employing the brix-plato correction factor in BeerSmith).  What are you using to calibrate yours?  Inquiring minds want to know.

My assumption is that Bob was mistaking the use of distilled for calibration of a pH meter which is a big no-no.  But it's appropriate for a refractometer.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 07:39:29 am »

My assumption is that Bob was mistaking the use of distilled for calibration of a pH meter which is a big no-no.  But it's appropriate for a refractometer.

That was my understanding as well, Dave.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 04:15:43 pm »

Robert, did you say you also use this for fermenting and finished beer?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 04:29:20 pm »

Robert, did you say you also use this for fermenting and finished beer?

Yes, with Petr Novotný's correction formula, it is close enough to know when it's time to transfer and spund, and to be sure that fermentation has finished I can still see if there is no change over several days even if the true reading is off by a few tenths of a degree Plato.  In fact, I may get less accurate readings of actively fermenting beer with a saccharometer, since it is buoyed up by bubbles and yeast, and is difficult to read in foamy, cloudy beer (I am too lazy to degas and filter a saccharometer sample as long as the refractometer is "good enough."  I do pass my few drops of fermenting beer through a coffee filter and on to the refractometer.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 06:46:58 pm »
Would you be willing to share your correction spreadsheet with me?

Would you centrifuge the sample before measurement of is filtering thru coffee filter sufficient?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 06:49:47 pm »
Would you be willing to share your correction spreadsheet with me?

Links and discussion here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=28544.0

https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

(this latter link uses the Novotny formula)
Dave

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 06:55:23 pm »
Novotný published his equation in an article in the Jul/Aug 2017 Zymurgy, but in a form which gives a result in specific gravity.  I convert to Plato in my spreadsheet.  The online calculator at Brewer's Friend uses the Novotný equation, with ability to select SG or Plato. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio