Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling sugar  (Read 5352 times)

Offline David K

• 1st Kit
Bottling sugar
« on: October 27, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
I’m looking for the actual formulas to calculate how much table sugar, honey, dme, lme, brown sugar etc. to prime.  I would like to see a formula that takes into account the temp, volume of brew, residual co2, attenuation of yeast and brew sugars.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Bottling sugar
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 04:45:51 pm »
After 20 years, here's my formula:

2 tablespoons table sugar per gallon
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 05:14:05 pm »
^^^^ Same here.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 05:33:38 pm »
In part, this is really very simple.  We know exactly how many grams of fermentable sugar yield how many grams of CO2, and the density of CO2 allowing us to translate grams of CO2 into volumes.  You can also find out how much fermentable sugar each of those products contains.  But what you likely will not know is how much residual fermentable sugar and how much CO2 your beer already contains before priming; those factors would need to be actually measured.

Dave and Kevin are right on target.  Adopt a rule of thumb, strive for consistency in your process,  and refine based on the results.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 07:36:00 pm »

Offline David K

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 08:08:16 pm »
It’s refreshing to hear from an adult instead of the prepubescents with their indecorous comments. Thanks BrewBama.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 08:34:44 pm »
It’s refreshing to hear from an adult instead of the prepubescents with their indecorous comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSVGB4YWW1g
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 08:40:38 pm »
It’s refreshing to hear from an adult instead of the prepubescents with their indecorous comments. Thanks BrewBama.
Wow, second post here on the forum.  That took an abrupt turn.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 07:49:10 am »

David, you're new here so maybe you don't know....we treat each other respectfully here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:58:09 am »
Honey's water content varies significantly so your results will probably differ from the prediction from a carbonation calculator.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 11:20:49 am »
I appreciate Dave's attempt to simplify things with a "one size fits all".  Thats kinda what I do by using an oz. per gal.  Both my method and his will work Ok if you only brew styles that need that particular level of carbonation and you always follow the same fermentation temp regimen. But it's pretty inexact and you have to be willing to accept whatever level of carbonation you get from it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 11:49:30 am »
In real life, I deviate slightly based on experience, like I'll use slightly less than 2 tablespoons per gallon for British styles, to better emulate the traditional "warm and flat" stereotype where appropriate.  But I'll never ever use more than 2 Tbsp anymore, not even for hefeweizens, Belgians, etc., as I've had too many of these go overboard and gush all over the place and it drives me crazy.  Also if I think there is any risk of gushing, if I'm not 1000% sure that fermentation is complete (this never happens anymore but let's say maybe it's possible for others), I'd underprime slightly -- I mean we're talking 1.7-1.8 Tbsp or whatever, so nothing real drastic, I know it will still carbonate, but just build in a little insurance to prevent gushing.  Personally I prefer a "flat" beer over a gusher any day.
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 12:09:43 pm »
In real life, I deviate slightly based on experience, like I'll use slightly less than 2 tablespoons per gallon for British styles, to better emulate the traditional "warm and flat" stereotype where appropriate.  But I'll never ever use more than 2 Tbsp anymore, not even for hefeweizens, Belgians, etc., as I've had too many of these go overboard and gush all over the place and it drives me crazy.  Also if I think there is any risk of gushing, if I'm not 1000% sure that fermentation is complete (this never happens anymore but let's say maybe it's possible for others), I'd underprime slightly -- I mean we're talking 1.7-1.8 Tbsp or whatever, so nothing real drastic, I know it will still carbonate, but just build in a little insurance to prevent gushing.  Personally I prefer a "flat" beer over a gusher any day.

Why no go by weight?  It's not easy to measure .8 Tbsp.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 12:25:48 pm »
Why no go by weight?  It's not easy to measure .8 Tbsp.

I dunno.  I never got around to it I guess.  And there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, so 2.4 teaspoons is pretty easy to measure, just come up slightly short on one fill of a 1/2 teaspoon.  And as I always say... close enough is close enough, for me anyway.  I'm not positive I have a scale that can measure that tiny amount anyway.
Dave

Offline David K

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 04:17:18 pm »
There is only one person that addressed the question I asked. Dm you lost me with a less than risible answer the first time. I will not pander you by watching any videos or responding to any comments. As for respect, it needs to be earned by addressing the explicit question asked.