Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermenting a lager under pressure at room temp 68 degrees  (Read 11427 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermenting a lager under pressure at room temp 68 degrees
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 11:52:33 am »
FWIW, I’ve fermented several beers now with W34/70, S-189, and M54 dry lager yeast at 62 and 65*F.

As I recently found out though, M-54 is Sacc. C. and isn't really Lager yeast. My apologies for picking nits.

What's your experience with S-189 at those temps? I love S-189 but haven't heard much on running it warm.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 01:47:02 pm »
As I recently found out though, M-54 is Sacc. C. and isn't really Lager yeast. My apologies for picking nits.

Says who!?  If you're correct and can provide me the specific source then I guess I'd better update my master spreadsheet!  News to me.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 02:39:13 pm »
FWIW, I’ve fermented several beers now with W34/70, S-189, and M54 dry lager yeast at 62 and 65*F.

I use 34/70 on my cream ale recipe and i pitch @50 and let it free rise to 55 let it ride out until diacetyl rest.

I'm definitely going to use on my next beer which will be my first attempt brewing a pilsner. I might go as low as 48* and see what happens. Temp range is 53-59 but hey, BTTW!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 09:36:04 am »

Says who!?  If you're correct and can provide me the specific source then I guess I'd better update my master spreadsheet!  News to me.

That's the information that Mangrove Jacks provided to me. If I still have the email in which they told me this I'll try to PM it to you Dave. According to the info they provided the only "real" lager yeast they sell is M-76 Bavarian which is a combination of Sacc. C and Pastorianus.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:41:18 am by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 11:28:48 am »

That's the information that Mangrove Jacks provided to me. If I still have the email in which they told me this I'll try to PM it to you Dave. According to the info they provided the only "real" lager yeast they sell is M-76 Bavarian which is a combination of Sacc. C and Pastorianus.

Good to know. My house lager yeast is a blend of M-76 and S-189.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 11:54:45 am »
MJ just repackages and resells other manufacturers' yeast (mostly Lallemand and Fermentis,) they have no labs of their own and are notorious for not knowing or inquiring as to what's in the packet and just calling them all S. cerevisiae.   But the genetic data has gotten a major update again in the last month, and if you've followed it these past couple of years, yes, the conventional categories of "ale" and "lager" and "cerevisiae" and "pastorianus" have been shown to have been quite a bit more confused than was thought.  Many lager yeasts are cerevisiae,  many ale yeasts pastorianus,  and in fact there are far more than these two basic classifications.  Dave's chart is kept well up to date and we should applaud him for it; that said, his interpretation of some of the data will naturally differ somewhat from that of others like Kristoffer Krogerus (suregork) or other denizens of the labs and interwebs.  It's all in flux still at this point.  But all that matters is how a yeast works for you, so ignore the labels and terminology and carry on brewing as you were!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 09:00:30 pm »

(EDIT: I typed the following even before reading Robert's response that is immediately above this post:)

Mangrove Jack's actually has no idea themselves, since they don't actually manufacture their own yeast but rather just repackage yeast from other places.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:02:08 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.