Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling sugar  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bottling sugar
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 05:13:19 pm »
If your interest was merely trivial, a simple Google search would have turned up the only two values (0.49g, CO2 produced by fermentation of 1g sugar; and 1.977g/L, density of CO2 @STP) needed to generate precisely the formula you seem to want.  If, however, your interest is in applying that information, in the context of brewing, toward achieving the end of properly and predictably carbonating beer, you might consider that you have received replies from several individuals, each possessing at least 2 to 3 decades of brewing experience, who are indicating to you that you are asking the wrong question.  We come here, to a forum, a venue for friendly exchange of information and furtherance of learning, eager to assist each other in improving their own brewing knowledge and techniques.  We would be glad to help you achieve your goals, and to learn what you have to offer, should you choose to continue as a member of this community.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 06:14:13 pm »
*gulp*

I've used the following calculator once or twice, literally.  And, for the veracious purpose of frivolity, this rejoinder is duly expressed with requisite superfluous ostentatiousness and prolixity.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 06:36:42 pm »
*gulp*

I've used the following calculator once or twice, literally.  And, for the veracious purpose of frivolity, this rejoinder is duly expressed with requisite superfluous ostentatiousness and prolixity.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator
Brewer's Friend has one too, there are plenty.  But they all have to make unfounded or generalized assumptions about the residual sugar and CO2 already present in the beer.   It seemed to me that the request in the OP was for a universal formula that would incorporate universal, absolute values for those factors, which remains impossible as they simply must be actually measured in order to be definitively known.  So in the end, any calculator which looks really sciencey but assumes unsupported values for key factors is a barely even a SWAG, and will serve no better than starting with an arbitrary quantity of sugar and adjusting based on a long series of trials under consistent, actual, brewery conditions.  In fact, repeatedly relying on the calculator is worse, because it will keep leading one astray from following empirical evidence. 

But I don't think we'll see the OP again.  I think he got just what he wanted, a little jolly trolling.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 06:45:28 pm »
I don't think we'll see the OP again.  I think he got just what he wanted, a little jolly trolling.

But if he can get past his lack of risibility and our apparent indecorous lack of pubes, I'm sure we'd be happy to have him.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 10:47:32 pm »
It’s refreshing to hear from an adult instead of the prepubescents with their indecorous comments. Thanks BrewBama.
Wow, second post here on the forum.  That took an abrupt turn.

Yeah, most people wait until their fourth or fifth post before insulting dmtaylor. Then they figure out that he really doesn't care, so there is no point to it and they stop. I skipped the intermediate step and just take him for what he is: an experienced homebrewer with a somewhat irreverent attitude.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 04:54:01 am »
It’s refreshing to hear from an adult instead of the prepubescents with their indecorous comments. Thanks BrewBama.
Wow, second post here on the forum.  That took an abrupt turn.

Yeah, most people wait until their fourth or fifth post before insulting dmtaylor. Then they figure out that he really doesn't care, so there is no point to it and they stop. I skipped the intermediate step and just take him for what he is: an experienced homebrewer with a somewhat irreverent attitude.

Happy 3rd anniversary on the AHA forum, Richard.  :)
Dave

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 07:51:09 am »
I don't think we'll see the OP again.  I think he got just what he wanted, a little jolly trolling.

But if he can get past his lack of risibility and our apparent indecorous lack of pubes, I'm sure we'd be happy to have him.

Dave:  I always enjoy your posts here.  I usually glean useful knowledge and also can also LMAO from time to time.  This is one of those times for the latter.
Cheers!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Barbarian Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 02:58:49 pm »
  • Risibility
  • Indecorous
  • Veracious
  • Prolixity
  • Rejoinder

Wow!  Who knew reading the AHA forum could be so educational? I feel so erudite now.   ;D
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot." -Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 03:42:36 pm »
I had to break out the dictionary several posts ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 09:20:32 am »

And here I thought I was one of the last dinosaurs to still own and use one of those archaic tomes.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 09:45:30 am »

And here I thought I was one of the last dinosaurs to still own and use one of those archaic tomes.
Hardly alone there.  Know what else a big book like a dictionary is good for?  Heaving at those kids on your lawn. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 10:13:02 am »

Hardly alone there.  Know what else a big book like a dictionary is good for?  Heaving at those kids on your lawn. 
That couldn't work with the one we have on our mantle.  It's about four inches thick and was published in 1901.  It's good for storing letters and postcards to be discovered later.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 10:45:48 am »

That couldn't work with the one we have on our mantle.  It's about four inches thick and was published in 1901.  It's good for storing letters and postcards to be discovered later.

This will knock 'em out cold.  Has all those fancy words in it too.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline David K

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 03:28:20 pm »
Let me see if I can put this in a perspective you can understand. Let’s say someone asks about the engineering behind a automobile fuel injection system and how it affects fuel economy and mpg. And the answers comes back: Well I just put 15 gallons of regular gas from sams and I get 15 mpg.  Me too. Well you can find mpg’s for all cars online.
When the respondents get called out on there lack of knowledge their panties get in a wad and the wagons circle and they start spewing out more irrational comments of we have decades of experience driving cars so we should know. As far as I’m concerned the respondents should learn better reading comprehension and show some respect for the author and the question buy not filling up the post with a plethora of useless information. The apologies are due from all of the respondents except bama. If you enjoy stroking each other’s ego so much over nonsense, find another venue. One last thing, if you don’t have any legitimate knowledge pertaining to the questions on the site...move on.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:31:17 pm by David K »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 04:37:47 pm »
I’m looking for the actual formulas to calculate how much table sugar, honey, dme, lme, brown sugar etc. to prime.  I would like to see a formula that takes into account the temp, volume of brew, residual co2, attenuation of yeast and brew sugars.

It's a bit complicated as noted above, but years of experience will get you to a simplified approach.  RDWHAHB works easier.  Me, I keg.  ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"