Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling sugar  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Bottling sugar
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2019, 08:17:40 pm »
I’m looking for the actual formulas to calculate how much table sugar, honey, dme, lme, brown sugar etc. to prime.  I would like to see a formula that takes into account the temp, volume of brew, residual co2, attenuation of yeast and brew sugars.
BrewBama gave you the technical reference, then you started the name-calling afterwards.

Here is an article from BYO that goes into all the chemistry and technical details
https://byo.com/article/dose-carbing-co2-generation-from-sugar-sources/

You can also use BeerSmith and other calculators, which will get you the same results without having to do the math yourself.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:19:38 pm by Richard »
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2019, 08:36:21 pm »
The problem with all of these resources remains:  they tell you how much CO2 your added sugar will generate.  They do not account for how much CO2 the beer already contains, nor how much fermentable sugar it contains.  Both of these must be ascertained before you know how much CO2 you still want to generate,  so you can then determine how much added sugar is needed.  Any calculator  claiming to account for these factors is disingenuously making wild guesses, as these cannot be known absent actual measurements.  Novice brewers would like to believe that there must be simple instructions to follow to obtain the desired result throughout the process.  Slightly less novice brewers see a maelstrom of complex scientific principles which all must be taken into account every step of the way.  Advanced brewers have intuited enough to triage all of this, finesse things by instinct, employee few hacks, and get the desired result every time.  The guys at Budweiser aren't reinventing the wheel every day, they follow well evolved procedures.  Like Dave and Kevin know 2 tablespoons a gallon works for both of them.  But you will have to discover what works for you, because you are not them doing things as they do.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 08:10:41 am »
Now I know how to define "arrogant".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 09:06:58 am »
   Perhaps David K along with a lot of other folks should do a refresher on the proper use of "their", "there" & "they're". And Rob, after rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders I no longer huck heavy books at those damn kids on the lawn, I use a 12 ga. loaded with rock salt.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2019, 09:35:36 am »
   ... I use a 12 ga. loaded with rock salt.

I thought it but didn’t say it!  LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 10:28:14 am »
I've been following this post for the past few days and finally decided to respond.

David K, there may be a good explanation for your negative attitude, I just can't imagine what it is.
In one of your earlier posts you said that "respect" had to be earned. I doubt if anyone here is looking for "respect", but a little civility would be appreciated.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2019, 07:18:50 am »
David K. might find that no one is willing to respond to any other inquiries he might have.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2019, 01:27:31 pm »
David K. might find that no one is willing to respond to any other inquiries he might have.

Maybe.  Does anyone remember BlueFoxy?  We never stopped talking to him.  ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 01:33:22 pm »

Paul
Blue Fox Icy.  Now there was an interesting forumite.  Did he ever post anything related to brewing?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2019, 02:25:31 pm »

Paul
Blue Fox Icy.  Now there was an interesting forumite.  Did he ever post anything related to brewing?

Not that I recall. Sometimes I wonder where these guys went. Anyone remember Triple Freak or USMCruz from the MoreBeer forum?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:28:30 am by mainebrewer »
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2019, 10:12:18 pm »

Paul

Not that I recall. Sometimes I wonder where these guys went. Anyone remember Triple Freak or Mcruz from the MoreBeer forum?

I didn't know Blue Fox.  Triple Freak yes.

...And all that knowledge and history on the MoreBeer forum... gone forever.   :( :( :(  Northern Brewer forum is nearly as dead...  :(
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2019, 08:33:00 am »

Paul

Not that I recall. Sometimes I wonder where these guys went. Anyone remember Triple Freak or Mcruz from the MoreBeer forum?

...And all that knowledge and history on the MoreBeer forum... gone forever.   :( :( :(  Northern Brewer forum is nearly as dead...  :(

But how much of that knowledge would still be relevant?  Kinda lime Desiging Great Beers....once it was an amazing book loaded with lots of useful info. Now, 20 years later, only a bit of it still has anything to do with what and how we brew.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 03:32:47 pm »

Paul

But how much of that knowledge would still be relevant?  Kinda lime Desiging Great Beers....once it was an amazing book loaded with lots of useful info. Now, 20 years later, only a bit of it still has anything to do with what and how we brew.
When is Ray going to put out an updated version?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 03:54:57 pm »

Paul

I had heard it was a project, but the Cicerone thing blew up, and takes all of his time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 04:01:17 pm »

I had heard it was a project, but the Cicerone thing blew up, and takes all of his time.

:( :( :(
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.