Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Inexpensive 3-Way TC Ball Valve that is Easily Cleaned  (Read 3293 times)

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
Inexpensive 3-Way TC Ball Valve that is Easily Cleaned
« on: October 28, 2019, 12:38:04 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive (<$75) three-way ball valve that is tri-clamp and can be easily disassembled for cleaning. All of the disassemblable 3-ways valves I'm finding are $150+ (and up to +++).

Regards,
Matt

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 04:17:52 pm »
They do not you just buy butterfly valve? You already have TC connector.

https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5-Tri-Clover-3-Way-Ball-Valve-TC15BALL3W.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:21:54 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
Re: Inexpensive 3-Way TC Ball Valve that is Easily Cleaned
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 07:24:04 pm »
They do not you just buy butterfly valve? You already have TC connector.

https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5-Tri-Clover-3-Way-Ball-Valve-TC15BALL3W.html
A butterfly isn't a three-way, or I need an "tee" or "wye" with two butterflies, which is more expensive and requires more space.

The three-way you linked to is one of the ones I'm looking at (under $75), but it doesn't appear to be easily disassembled for cleaning. Also, it's a T bore and I prefer an L bore for my use case.

However, if someone on the forums has cleaned this particular valve and found it to be easily disassembled and reassembled, then I can make due with the T bore in the ball.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:27:50 pm by brewkoi »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:15:51 pm »
Have you considered puting it in an autoclave/pressure cooker to kill bugs?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:58:16 pm »
Have you considered puting it in an autoclave/pressure cooker to kill bugs?
First, I don't have an autoclave. Second, I never considered pressure cooker, but am wary of over heating and damaging the PTFE, seals, etc. I'd need to check spec sheets specifically, but I think most of these lower cost valves are rated somwhere in the ~240 - 260F range, and an autoclave with steam splits the difference.

Brew day post-brew cleaning is an extended recirculation with PBR followed by 200F water and a final sanitizer rinse through the system. I've measured 190+ sustained surface temp on valves, which ought to sanitize their interiors sufficiently---in effect similar to your autoclave/pressure cooker at lower temp.

It's the gunk build-up that occurs with valves where the ball chamber isn't fully encapsulated that concerns me. If there is anything growing on the accumulation, my approach might not be sufficient to knock it down. An extended trip in an autoclave would solve that, subject to the caveats above, but still leave the gunk behind.

Personally, I like to strip down valves every six or so brew days to clean out any gunk and prevent accumulation. Actually, I have my sons do it as part of brewing with me --- those who would drink must work.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 06:59:54 am »
Looks like there are wrench flats on the A-B-C legs. If so, it probably means it disassembles fairly easily.

FWIW, I like to disassemble and clean my equipment between brew days as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 07:41:53 am »
Looks like there are wrench flats on the A-B-C legs. If so, it probably means it disassembles fairly easily.
Nothing like a $60 test to see if you want to spend $60 . . . LOL!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 08:44:25 am »
Nothing like a $60 test to see if you want to spend $60 . . . LOL!

...or call them and ask if it is disassemble-able = free.

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 06:37:57 pm »
...or call them and ask if it is disassemble-able = free.
The total cluelessness of the person on the other end of the line was my first clue. After I had to explain what a three-way valve was, as distinct from a three-piece valve, I decided to ask elsewhere (elsewhere being here).

I still hold out hope that someone will respond with something like, "I use the 3-ways that <vendor X> sells, and they are easy enough to take apart and clean that I do it regularly." If not, I'll start calling around again.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 07:51:18 am »
Well, wrench flats on the valve housing legs coupled with the knowledge that the retailer sells seal kits for that valve would be a reasonable indication to a maintenance minded guy (me) that the valve is disassemble-able.

Offline brewkoi

• 1st Kit
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 07:59:02 pm »
Fair enough. :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 09:26:54 pm »
The old engineer in me says "They had to assemble it somehow". Thinking about how it could be put together might help you take it apart.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 09:19:46 am »
   That isn't as true as it once was Jeff, a lot of the stuff I have bought in the last decade or so is not user serviceable as it is assembled with equipment which is not found in any but the most tool junkie-ish workshops. For example, a lot of the ball valves I have are pressed together and I have yet to figure out how to take them apart for cleaning without destroying them. Tip a modern clothes washer on it's side a take a look at it's guts and compare what you see to what one from the 70's or 80's looked like and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 10:19:51 am »
   That isn't as true as it once was Jeff, a lot of the stuff I have bought in the last decade or so is not user serviceable as it is assembled with equipment which is not found in any but the most tool junkie-ish workshops. For example, a lot of the ball valves I have are pressed together and I have yet to figure out how to take them apart for cleaning without destroying them. Tip a modern clothes washer on it's side a take a look at it's guts and compare what you see to what one from the 70's or 80's looked like and you'll see what I'm talking about.

True, some assemblies are press fits, friction welds, or are hemmed together. In the auto business we would sometimes figure out how do disassemble a part we wanted to inspect and analyze. If we couldn't, a band saw, lathe, or a "flame wrench" was used.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 03:16:53 pm »
In the physics world we would sometimes do press fits that absolutely couldn't be undone. We would freeze the inside part in Liquid Nitrogen (-320 F) to shrink it, then drop it into the hole in a piece at room temp. Once the inner part warmed up the press fit was so tight that it was never going to come out!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's